Deneé's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

liked it
bookshelves: from-library, audio-books

Originally posted at Novel Reveries

I started this book as an audiobook, then halfway through I stopped and left it for about three months. I recently picked it back up to actually read the rest. I just finished it and am pleased to say that the second half is better than the first half.

"My name is Katniss Everdeen. I am seventeen years old. My hold is District 12. I was in the Hunger Games. I escaped. The Capitol hates me. Peeta was taken prisoner. He is thought to be dead. Most likely he is dead. It is probably best if he is dead..." (4)

This book changes things dramatically from the first book, and where the second book left us. A lot of things happened that I didn't expect, nor wanted to happen (after a while you get a little picture in your head of what you want to happen to/ with the characters) but I suppose that is what made the book more surprising. I feel, however that the taking down of the capitol happened way too fast, as it only last about a paragraph or so (especially in comparison with how long it took them to plan the war.) I also found the ending to be a bit anticlimactic as Katniss settles in with her new way of life, but it does finalize everything.

"Katniss Everdeen, the girl who was on fire." (352)

In all, I feel this book is great at tying everything up, but it was no way near as great as The Hunger Games or Catching Fire. I hope to read a lot more from Suzanne Collins, because she is wonderful in portraying her writing through to the imagination of her readers.

First Line: "I star down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather." (3)
Last Line: "But there are much worse games to play." (389)
-----------------------

Quotes

"Some walks you have to take alone." (5)

"So after, when he whispers, 'You love me. Real or not real?' I tell him, 'Real.'" (388)

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

January 16, 2012 – Shelved
October 19, 2012 –
October 20, 2012 –
January 21, 2013 –
page 246
63.08% "After about 3 months, I picked it back up. This time I'm reading the kindle book instead of listening to the audiobook :)"
January 22, 2013 –