sylvie's Reviews > The Forgotten Waltz

The Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright

2034082
Jan 16, 2012

My view:

"I met him in my sister's garden in Enniskerry. That is where I saw him first. There was nothing fated about it, though I add in the late summer light and the view. I put him at the bottom of my sister's garden, in the afternoon, at the moment the day begins to turn. Half five maybe. It is half past five on a Wicklow summer Sunday when I see Sean for the first time. There he is, where the end of my of my sister's garden becomes uncertain. He is about to turn around - but he doesn't know this yet. He is looking at the view and I am looking at him......."

I truly enjoyed this novel, especially Anne Enright's prose. The characters came to life vividly. As affairs are concerned, can it ever be the right thing to do? This is in my opinion what drives the story...as in any such situation 'the couple' is never alone, always close by are family members who continue to live life often unaware...if not uneasy about their spouses.
Is there ever an excuse so blatant which can excuse an affair? This Anne Enright tries to find out while taking us along into this forbidden territory.

I am looking forward to reading her previous novel which won the Booker Prize "THE GATHERING"
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgotten Waltz.