Darlene's Reviews > Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers

When I was in fifth grade, I was a library regular. I would check out the limit of ten books at a time. Mary Poppins was a series I got into and read all of them. I never had seen Julie Andrews version. We weren't allowed to go to movies in my family. Maybe that's the reason I am so into movies now?

Anyway, I wasn't a fan of the illustrations, still don't care for them. I got irritated with Michael getting so much attention. I felt that this read through, too.

Something that I noticed that I don't remember my childhood thoughts on. How prideful Mary Poppins was, and how grumpy/bossy she was. But now that it's been a couple days since I finished this quartet of books I think I'm glad she was that way. She didn't feel she needed to tell the family when she'd be leaving. She rarely admitted to the kids about her friends or her habits with them. It was like she had her own life apart from the wards of her job. I think she shows women and girls that they don't have to tell everything and they can be independent.

Since I read these four books in a row using text-to-speech, I didn't notice where one book ended and another began--except when she left and said she wasn't coming back--but then she came back.

I don't remember finding the adventures tedious as a child. But as an adult, I see they are far too similar and I lost interest sometimes.

Particular to this version, the Audible available as whispersynch to this book was just for the first book. Most folks would probably read on without a problem. I need the text-to-speech to take over and it was hard to make my Fire understand that. The good news was that I called Amazon and they made it all good. I had loved the Audible narration. I just didn't have the money to get the rest of the books at that time. They let me remove it and then my text-to-speech with the British voice that always sounds like Julie Andrews got me through the rest of the books.

Now I feel ready to watch the new Mary Poppins movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mary Poppins.

December 17, 2018 – Started Reading