Patrick Sherriff's Reviews > The Cage

The Cage by Kenzo Kitakata

bookshelves: japan, crime-and-such

I enjoyed this a lot. Our anti-hero yakuza is suitably anti-heroic though with a soft (-ish) underbelly to his yakuza-toughened exterior. Through the course of the novel we learn why the protagonist is the way he is and also see parallels with the gruff cop who is pursuing him. Along the way are plenty of ballerina-like choreographed knife fights and glimpses of the Japanese underworld behind the smiling hostess bars, though always done in an understated Japanese way. Don't expect characters to explain themselves to each other. Things are left unsaid, perhaps more so than in western noirs, which makes the ending, where the narrator explains the meaning of the title, The Cage, just a little unnecessary and all the more surprising given the admirably tight control the author keeps throughout the rest of the novel.

Download my starter library for free here - http://eepurl.com/bFkt0X - and receive my monthly newsletter with an original painting, and book recommendations galore for the Japanophile, crime-fiction-lover in all of us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cage.

December 12, 2018 – Started Reading