Karl Jorgenson's Reviews > A Most Wanted Man

A Most Wanted Man by John le Carré

M 50x66

My love affair with LeCarre's work cooled in the eighties, chilled in the nineties, and turned bitter in this century. For random reasons, I read this one and found it pretty darn good.
LeCarre's strength is fabulous characters. They are vivid, they are complex, and they are real. They ought to be; 90 percent of any of his books is character development. Read him for the characters and you can't be disappointed.
His plotting has shifted over the decades. From The Spy Who Came in from the Cold to Tinker, Tailor he took imaginative plots and filled them with irresistible characters, pretty much the best of all worlds.
In his more recent career, as with Wanted Man, he has toned down the plots to be what I can only describe as realistic. This has its own appeal: you leave the book feeling like you have been a participant in joint CIA/MI5/whatever the Germans call theirs operation. But the down side is that the events are realistic--clever, brave, dedicated heroes never save the day. One reason I read is to escape; I hate it when a spy thriller (not particularly thrilling) ends because the accounting department has decided that the foreign op to subvert a major jihadist is not in the budget--try again next year. Brilliantly realistic, but utterly unsatisfying. If I wanted to have my hopes and dreams crushed, I'd tell them to my boss. I don't need LeCarre to do it for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Most Wanted Man.

Started Reading