Philippe Lazaro's Reviews > The Wonder

The Wonder by Emma Donoghue

bookshelves: current-fiction

“Your body - every body is a marvel. A wonder of creation. [...] The day you first opened your eyes, Anna, God asked just one thing: that you live.”

–Emma Donoghue

I absolutely devoured this book. I think I read right through it in just two or three sittings. And it was quite the read.

For about the whole first half of the book- I was pretty confused by where the plot was going. The story centered on a young Irish girl who claimed to no longer need food in order to live because she was being sustained by God. Hoping to claim the event as a miracle, her parents hire a nurse to observe her round the clock to make sure she isn’t eating. The nurse is initially baffled by how the girl really is holding together without food, but then a bunch of plot twists kick in all at once, setting up the dramatic second half.

Emma Donoghue is probably best known for writing Room, and this book is set in quite a different place and time, but there are still a lot of similarities in how the story is told. I really liked it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wonder.

December 13, 2018 – Started Reading