Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳'s Reviews > The Right Swipe

The Right Swipe by Alisha Rai

In theory, the blurb for The Right Swipe was a treasure of romance book.
It had all the things I’m usually craving in my romance:
-Online dating
-One night stand
-Enemies to lovers
-Texting / emailing

Furthermore it’s delivered by an author I’ve had such a pleasure discovering through her previous series.
This book should have been a winner. Except it wasn’t. AT. ALL.

I was craving human emotions, angst, and all I got was a thesaurus for online dating terms.
I felt nothing for the characters.
Ok let me amend that, I felt nothing for the characters as a couple but oh man did I feel for Rhiannon Hunter.
I hated her guts. Pure and simple I just couldn’t stand her.
Am I going to get heat for feeling this book may be a tad too feminist? Don’t @ me.
(Or rather the feminist revendications arc was detrimental to the romance, which is regrettable when advertising a book as romance.)
It’s just how I felt. Or rather it’s how Rhiannon Hunter made me feel.
I love a strong heroine, I’m all for empowered women in romance novels but if it becomes detrimental to qualities I find essential characters in romance have, then I guess I’d rather have a doormat heroine growing empowered and showing some kindness and emotions and I don’t know… personality?

I couldn’t tell for the life of me why Samson, the hero, would decide to pursue this determined cyborg—I mean Rhiannon.
Watching him go after her was like watching a dog trying to catch the attention of a negligent owner.
Samson was so damn sweet.

To say the author has been torough in her depiction of modern dating is putting it lightly.
I felt bored and irritated with a theme I actually enjoy.
If the goal of this —feminist manifesto—romance was to acknowledge how women can do as much and better than men professionally, then congratulations, this reader got the message loud and clear.
Too bad it’s all I could retain from The Right Swipe.

I truly enjoyed the author's books in the past (Hate to Want You, Wrong to Need You Forbidden Hearts series), it could be just a "me" issue, I strongly encourage you to read other reviews or follow your guts about this book, you could end up loving it.