Christa Seeley's Reviews > Drowning Instinct

Jan 16, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, genre-contemporary, netgalley-edelweiss

Originally reviewed at Hooked on Books

I've been sitting on this review for awhile now. Flip flopping on how I really felt about this book. I'm still not 100% what my feelings are but I think I've formed enough coherent thoughts to put together a review.

Let me start out by saying there is A LOT going on in this story. I may argue that there is too much going on. Jenna Lord is a burn victim, she's a cutter, she gets molested, she's the new girl at school. there's an affair with the teacher. Crises after crises. So many bad things happen to this girl I'm amazed she's still standing. I had a hard time trying to keep all the traumas straight, I don't know how she did.

In addition to this (or perhaps because of it) I had a really hard time connecting with Jenna. I didn't find her all that likable and had a really hard tome relating to her. She just didn't feel like a real person to me - it felt like she was trying too hard to fit into all these ideas of what an emotionally damaged teenager should be. I should have been able to empathize at her at the very least but I felt like a total Ice Queen.

So based on all these criticism you would think that I didn't like this book - but honestly the drama was heart pounding. I couldn't put it down. I read the whole thing cover to cover in less than 24 hours. I found myself really wanting to know what happened next and there were some really great twists. I especially loved the whole plot line with her brother in Afghanistan! Amazing!

So here I remain. Heart divided in regards to this novel. If you like drama and suspense then there's a chance you'll like this. However, if well developed characters are really important to you than this one may irritate you. Honestly, it could go either way. If you're at all interested by the premise than I say just go for it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drowning Instinct.

January 16, 2012 – Started Reading
January 19, 2012 – Shelved as: genre-contemporary
January 19, 2012 – Shelved as: netgalley-edelweiss
January 19, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Gwenyth (new) - added it

Gwenyth Love Hmmm...can't wait to see your thoughts on this one.