Selina Lock's Reviews > Deep Wizardry

Jan 16, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: novel, fiftyfiftyme
Read from January 16 to 18, 2012

This is the second book in the Young Wizards series and starts a few months after the end of the first book. Nita and Kit are on a beach holiday with Nita's parents and younger sister Dairine.

Being powerful, new wizards it isn't long before Nita & Kit find themselves in a local magical problem, which starts with a dolphin turning up while they're swimming and asking for help. It turns out there is a badly injured whale wizard nearby. This meeting with S'reee the whale wizard leads them on an underwater adventure to help sing the Son of Twelve to re-bind the Lone Power at the bottom of the ocean, otherwise volcanoes will erupt, Manhattan will be flooded and millions of lives could be lost.

This was very different in setting to the first book, which keeps the interest high. The youngsters face many challenges, but the emotional ones, including coming to term with the idea of sacrifice worked particularly well for me. It was interesting to have most of the main characters being whales, dolphins or sharks and seeing how Nita and Kit deal with being in whale form. I got a little bored with the repeated refrains from the Song of Twelve but otherwise the overall plot was intriguing.

If I had been reading this at the time it came out (without the foreknowledge of there being many more books) then I would have feared even more for some of the characters, as Duane does not hesitate to kill her creations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deep Wizardry.