Evie Braithwaite's Reviews > Little Women

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

bookshelves: classics, fiction

Timeless.

Little Women is a story about facing hardships, self-growth and learning from mistakes. Not much can be said in terms of a plot, Alcott rather making the novel flourish with her character development. However, watching each of the girls grow and relish in their childhood years together was a joy to read. The March sisters have contrasting personalities, they’re no saints, they make comical mistakes; Jo mistaking salt for sugar on their berries, but they’re endearing.

Out of the diverse bunch, I took a shine to Jo the most. I adored her delight when she stumbled upon Mr Laurence’s library, and my favourites scenes were those with her and Laurie. Plus, she’s irritable and clumsy, of course, I can relate.

Money may save you from some hardships, but what is a life without friendships, love and happiness? This is a story which provokes us to remember the importance of gratitude.

This was an easy and cosy read which brought some warmth to my cold winter weekend. My first classic of the year did not disappoint.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Women.

December 16, 2018 – Shelved
December 16, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
January 11, 2019 – Started Reading
January 11, 2019 –
page 1
0.22% "One of my reading goals this year is to read one classic a month. Although I'm an Enish Lit student, I have such a long list of classics I'm yet to read 🤷‍♀️ January's classic is Little Women, and with a new film adaptation coming in December, I can't wait to get started 📖"
January 13, 2019 – Shelved as: classics