Eryn's Reviews > Verity

Verity by Colleen Hoover

bookshelves: owned, romance, thriller, mystery, fiction, 4-stars, reviewed

4 / 5 ~

What the actual heck? No, seriously. How am I supposed to feel after reading those last two chapters? Basically everything I thought turned out to be a lie — or was it a lie, because really you don’t know. And if you’ve read this book, you know exactly what I’m talking about. And, well, if you haven’t read it, then I recommend you do because ladies and gentleman Colleen Hoover no longer only writes romance novels — she flippin’ writes thrillers, and darn well, too.

I went into Verity expecting a romance novel because it’s Colleen Hoover, and regardless of what you may think about romance books, she writes them really well. Therefore she’s an instant-buy author for me, no matter what. What I didn’t expect, however, was a thriller! And a thriller revolving around two messed up romances (in my opinion, feel free to disagree). I mean, even when it quickly became apparent that this book was not going to be a typical romance-y Hoover novel, I was so very addicted. It’s official, Hoover can write a thriller as well as any other writer.

As for the characters like Lowen, Jeremy, Crew, and Verity — I thought they were fine but not necessarily memorable characters, which is why my rating isn’t closer to 5 stars. I didn’t feel a huge attachment to them. Rather, I felt a bigger attachment to the story and the mystery and my desire to figure out what was going on. Even still, the characters were relatable, which I think is important to mention. I found Lowen’s quietness and insecurities almost endearing, and Jeremy’s devotion to his kids inspiring.

All in all, if you’ve ever read Hoover’s novels and enjoyed them, I say get this book and read it! And if you haven’t read any of her books, well, I’d still say the same thing. What a ride.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Verity.

December 15, 2018 – Shelved
January 6, 2019 – Shelved as: thriller
January 6, 2019 – Shelved as: mystery
January 6, 2019 – Shelved as: fiction
page 63
20.06% "Colleen Hoover can write so well 😭"
page 212
67.52% "Holy cow, I haven't moved for 2 hours 😂 something is up with this woman. I need to know!!"
page 302
96.18% "What the actual hell??"
January 7, 2019 – Shelved as: 4-stars
January 7, 2019 – Shelved as: reviewed
January 7, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Ellen Gail "What the actual heck" was pretty much my exact reaction in the end too. But a really good heck!

Eryn @Ellen Yea! It was a good confusion. She needs to write more books like this!