Alexandra's Reviews > Miranda in Milan

Miranda in Milan by Katharine Duckett

bookshelves: female-nb-gq-2018, read-in-2018, short-2018

This novel (novella?) was sent to me to review by the publisher, Tor.com, at no cost. It will be out on 26 March, 2019.

Aside from King Lear, which I loathe, I probably dislike The Tempest more than any other Shakespeare play. I don't know why; there's nothing particular I can pinpoint. But I really, really dislike it.

It turns out, though, that stories of Miranda after the play are stories I can really get behind. So maybe this is part of the problem: in the play, I think Miranda is just a bit nothing. But For Meadows' Coral Bones made me swoon for joy, and now Katharine Duckett's Miranda in Milan similarly plays with the aftermath of Miranda's return from the island - in a very different way from Meadows, but equally dealing with some of the issues that a young woman with such an upbringing might need to confront.

Here, Miranda is returned to Milan, and basically confined to the room - she's only allowed out when wearing a veil, which she loathes. Her father is off reestablishing himself as duke, Ferdinand is in Naples, and she has no friends. Until suddenly she does develop a friendship, and she begins to discover some of what's gone on in Milan that led to Prospero's banishment - and, by extension, her own.

Nicola Griffith's blurb is (unsurprisingly) apt: "Love and lust, mothers and monsters, magicians and masked balls...". That's about it. What is love and how do you know it, what makes a monster, and can magicians be trusted... Duckett writes about these things, and does it quite beautifully.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miranda in Milan.

December 15, 2018 – Started Reading