Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies's Reviews > The City of a Thousand Faces

The City of a Thousand Faces by Jeffrey Hall

it was ok

I read this for SPFBO

Beautiful cover, but I just wasn't feeling the contents. I couldn't connect with any of the characters and the setting was confusing. A good book finds a way to incorporate explanation of the setting into the story, and I never got much of one here. If I hadn't read the synopsis on GR, I wouldn't have known what was going on. I needed less narrative and more description.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The City of a Thousand Faces.

Finished Reading
December 15, 2018 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by Ron (new)

Ron I'm very curious how and why Khanh has so many followers. Her reviews don't offer much in the way of critical value.

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies My reviews do when a book is worthwhile

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Well Ron, I'd suggest you start writing your own reviews and find out how difficult they can be (especially when a book doesn't offer you much to discuss) before you criticise anyone else's work.

message 4: by Carly (new)

Carly In addition to reviews being difficult to review, books are also inherently personal. You would know that, if you've actually read more than one book.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Peregrym Not having much luck with SPFBO, are you?

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Jessica wrote: "Not having much luck with SPFBO, are you?"

I didn’t expect to tbh but nope. So far I’ve liked one book

message 7: by Lukasz (new)

Lukasz A pity. There are some great books in other SPFBO batches. I'm not sure about yours as I haven't read any of the books you had reviewed.

message 8: by Bob (last edited Dec 17, 2018 06:20AM) (new)

Bob Khanh wrote: "I didn’t expect to tbh but nope. So far I’ve liked one book"

So far? You've DNF'd, what, three books?

message 10: by Esme (last edited Dec 17, 2018 06:55AM) (new)

Esme Sorry to hear that, I think all the judges hit some books in their batch that weren't to their taste. We had some in our group that didn't gel with me. I hope you have more luck in the finals! I also have liked ML Spencer's books in the past. I haven't read the one in your batch but maybe give that one a try next?

message 11: by Kal (last edited Feb 24, 2019 04:11AM) (new)

Kal She already admitted in the comments of another review that she is bias against self-published books, and her reviews show that she is easily confused by any fantasy setting, so it is hard to give merit to her reviews. Funny then that she became the judge for a self-published fantasy blog-off.

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Oh fuck off. I enjoyed self pubbed books that are good and have given great reviews to several so far

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris Day Why all the hate? Khanh reviews are often spot on from what i’ve seen based on common books we’ve read. Obviously this is going to be subjective. But i value her insight.