Bonnie McDaniel's Reviews > The Consuming Fire

The Consuming Fire by John Scalzi

bookshelves: read-in-2018, science-fiction, space-opera, politics

This is the second book in the Interdependency Sequence, and it has all the John Scalzi trademarks: a fast-moving plot, snarky dialogue, skimpy description, and solid worldbuilding. This last in particular is a high point of the book for me, as there were several revelations about the history of the Interdependency that I hope will be expanded upon in the final book. Presumably they will, as things are clearly pointing in that direction.

The only thing I didn't care for--and to be clear, this is just my personal preference, and not the author's problem--is the multiple points of view. I would rather the book focused on the original three characters: Cardenia Wu-Patrick (now Emperox Grayland II), Kiva Lagos, and Marce Claremont. I can see why the narrative included Nadashe Nohamapetan and Archbishop Gunda Korbijn, but neither they or their chapters were especially interesting. Cardenia Wu-Patrick was the real revelation in this book: her character developed nicely, into a quiet but shrewd and devastating badass. (She's also the source of the book's title, which I had been wondering about; it's drawn from her climactic speech, where she shuts down the treasonous conspiracy to oust her and drops the mic.)

There's a lot more court politics in this book: coups, attempted coups, conspiracies, and all kinds of maneuvering, double-crossing, and backstabbing. The reader's appreciation of the story will to a large extent depend on one's tolerance for this. I found it interesting, and more so as the book went along. This, combined with the revelations about the world, has me looking forward to the final book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Consuming Fire.

Started Reading