Lara's Reviews > Approaching the Swingularity: Tales of Swinging & Polyamory in Paradise

Approaching the Swingularity by Cooper S. Beckett

it was ok

** spoiler alert ** I finished this only out of a responsibility to finish reading the main characters' arc. About midway I was getting the feel of a "let's see how many permutations and diversity characters/sexual actions can be included" and each scene was feeling shorter and shorter shrifted. So I literally started scanning for the POV characters' names (in the chapter headings) and read only the ones I felt invested in following: Jen, Ryan, Paige, and Bruce.

Yes, the other characters were interesting -- when their stories were intersecting directly with one of these four. However, I'm sorry, but it became a "cast" of characters instead of an organically built community. There were seemingly "token" reps of just about everything.

I admire the desire to "tell a story everyone can connect with" but it would have been better to follow just the foursome in this story and then write "spinoffs" or "companion" stories that followed the other characters through the same trip. It might have allowed the other characters' plots to be more fleshed out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Approaching the Swingularity.

Finished Reading