monica kim's Reviews > Again, but Better

Again, but Better by Christine Riccio

bookshelves: 2019-releases

another book i picked up “before bed” that basically stopped me from going to bed because i couldn’t put it down. 😂

anyways, i genuinely adored again, but better. i was constantly surprised by the turns of the plot and the character choices. i loved getting to know shane and her friends, and i loved getting to watch her grow so much over the course of this story.

side note, but the time period this is set in is literally the exact year and semester that i studied in london, and it was so so fun to read about a character having that whirlwind of an experience - meeting new people, traveling for the first time, jumping from place to place each weekend. it was such a perfect depiction of that!

i also seriously am so thankful for some new adult/late YA fiction that isn’t like hyper-sexual or dark. this felt like an actual realistic portrayal of your 20s - feeling lost, and naive, and insecure and trying to find your path. i want more books like this, please!

lastly, this book felt truly, clearly like christine. from the narrative voice to the main character, you could tell this was a personal story. even in the author’s note at the very beginning, christine makes it really clear that much of this book pulls from her own experiences. some people may not like that, but i thought it made the story all the more effective and engaging. i think sometimes as readers we tend to mock/trivialize women who do this (bc how dare a women tell her own story) but then celebrate men who do literally the same thing as being brave or honest. idk just an observation.

ultimately this book felt fresh, and fun, and just made me so happy - everything i’m looking in a contemporary. so excited to see what comes next for christine!

read via audiobook, and i’d def recommend - i really liked the narrator.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Again, but Better.

December 15, 2018 – Shelved
December 15, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
December 15, 2018 – Shelved as: 2019-releases
May 15, 2019 – Started Reading
May 15, 2019 –
15.0% "this book is so relatable, i’m actually shook at how similar the london study abroad program is to my own"
May 16, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Franziska I am currently listening to the audiobook as well and I also really enjoy listening to the narrator and to this fun story.

Emma Giordano yay thank you for such an honest & authentic review!