Julie's Reviews > Miracle Creek

Miracle Creek by Angie  Kim

bookshelves: 2020, e-book, legal-thriller, mystery-shelf

Miracle Creek by Angie Kim is a 2019 Sarah Crichton Books publication.

Fantastic! Lived up to the hype

Everyone knows I love a good courtroom drama, so this book was highly recommended to me by some of my GRs peers. But, try as I might, the book just wasn’t calling out to me when it was first released. So, I waited for the right mood, and I think my instincts paid off this time.

In a small Virginia town, a Korean couple have set up a Hyperbaric chamber on their land, which draws in a group of eclectic people, all hoping to find relief from conditions ranging from autism to infertility. However, some people are adamantly opposed to this controversial treatment for children with autism, and have begun protesting.

Then, a tragic explosion leaves two people dead, and severely injures several others, leaving many lingering questions behind.

Was it an accident or was it deliberate? Was it one of the protestors or a member of the group participating in the chamber treatment?

As the investigation proceeds, the mother of an autistic boy is singled out as the prime suspect. Did she, with malice aforethought, set out to murder her own child? There is strong circumstantial evidence that she did, but as the trial begins, the situation leading up to the explosion is revealed, exposing a plethora of secrets, coverups, lies, and agonizing guilt, providing more than ample reasonable doubt in the reader's mind. Is the right person on trial?

The premise of this book is a bit unusual, at least in the beginning. I have heard of the hyperbaric chamber, or something like it, probably from some medical drama on television, but I didn’t know its official name or what all it was used for.

Apparently, it is used for numerous health issues ranging from anemia to vision loss, but is questionable when it comes to certain other conditions. Interesting. I learn something new every time I read a book!

The downside, of course, was the uptick in the number of characters I had to keep track of. Again, I found myself reading slower to make sure I was understanding everything that was going on. I listened to portions of this book on audio as well, and thought it was very well done considering the amount of characters involved.

It feels like I have been waiting for decades for a riveting courtroom drama. The well is so dry, I soaked this one up like a sponge! As popular as this book became, I hoped it would prompt a legal thriller comeback- just so long as it didn’t turn into a ‘trend’ or oversaturation. (Doesn’t anyone know how to practice moderation?)

However, this story goes much deeper than the murder trial. It also takes a hard look at what it means to be a parent- the desire to shelter and protect our children and the strong urge to give them a better life and a brighter future, providing them with the best advantages possible. Yet, the moral example one sets is equally important, as well as instilling a strong level of accountability, from both parent and child, building true character.

Parenting is difficult under the best of circumstances, but raising a child with special needs is an all- consuming effort, the challenges constant, and this novel provides some very realistic examples of that, measuring the exhausting toll it can take on even the most resilient and dedicated parents.

Overall, this is a well-rounded novel that could just as easily have relied on one dimension of the story- the trial,or the behind the scenes drama that revealed all those stunning secrets and resentments. To have adeptly combined the two aspects of the story, with balance, and near perfect pacing, is what really made this novel standout.

Obviously, I am very impressed by this debut novel. Can’t wait to see what Angie Kim comes up with next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miracle Creek.

December 15, 2018 – Shelved
December 15, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
February 27, 2020 – Started Reading
February 27, 2020 – Shelved as: 2020
February 27, 2020 – Shelved as: e-book
February 27, 2020 – Shelved as: legal-thriller
February 27, 2020 – Shelved as: mystery-shelf
March 16, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)

Zoeytron Great review, Julie. Glad you waited until the time was right for you to read it. :-)

Julie Zoeytron wrote: "Great review, Julie. Glad you waited until the time was right for you to read it. :-)"

Thank you very much, Zoey!! 💖

message 3: by Antoinette (new) - added it

Antoinette Terrific review, Julie! I’ve been meaning to read it as well!

message 4: by Peter (new) - added it

Peter A really wonderful review, Julie and lots to think about. :):)

Julie Antoinette wrote: "Terrific review, Julie! I’ve been meaning to read it as well!"

Thank you, Antoinette!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did- once you get a chance to read it! 💖

Julie Peter wrote: "A really wonderful review, Julie and lots to think about. :):)"

Thank so much, Peter!! It was very thought-provoking. 😊😊

message 7: by Tina (new)

Tina An Awesome review Julie!! I know this is one I must read!!

message 8: by Luvtoread (new) - added it

Luvtoread Terrific review, Julie! This sounds very intriguing!!😊💞

Debra Fabulous review, Julie!

Julie Luvtoread wrote: "Terrific review, Julie! This sounds very intriguing!!😊💞"

Thank you very much, Luv!! 💖

Julie Debra wrote: "Fabulous review, Julie!"

Thanks so much, Debra! 💖

message 12: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Excellent review, Julie. This one has been on my radar for a while, too. ;)

message 13: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Such a great review Julie, glad you enjoyed it 🌹

Julie Carolyn wrote: "Excellent review, Julie. This one has been on my radar for a while, too. ;)"

Thank you, Carolyn!! I think you will like this one. 💖

Julie Maureen wrote: "Such a great review Julie, glad you enjoyed it 🌹"

Thanks so much, Maureen!! 💖

Maureen Wonderful review, Julie! I loved this one too!

Meredith Fantastic review, Julie! So glad you loved this too!

message 18: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret Montalvo Thanks for the great review. Have added to my to-read list.

message 19: by Richard (new) - added it

Richard Great write up Julie ......... glad you loved this one - I’ll be reading it very soon I think.

Ceecee Sooo happy to see those stars as I’ve got this one coming up!! Great review Julie ❤️

Brenda -Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Julie! I am so glad to see this was a good one for you!

Julie Maureen wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie! I loved this one too!"

Thank you very much, Maureen!! I'm glad we both enjoyed this one! 💖

Julie Meredith wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie! So glad you loved this too!"

Thanks so much, Meredith!! Take safe out there! 🤗💖

Julie Margaret wrote: "Thanks for the great review. Have added to my to-read list."

Thank you, Margaret!! It's definitely worth re-reading and I don't say that about too many books! 💖

Julie Richard wrote: "Great write up Julie ......... glad you loved this one - I’ll be reading it very soon I think."

Thanks so much, Richard!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Stay safe out there! 💖

Julie Brenda -Traveling Sister wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie! I am so glad to see this was a good one for you!"

Thank you so much, Brenda!! One of my favorites so far this year! 💖

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Glad this lived up to the hype for you Julie! Great review!

Julie Lindsay - Traveling Sister wrote: "Glad this lived up to the hype for you Julie! Great review!"

Thank you very much, Lindsay!! Take care and stay well!! 💖

message 29: by Karen (new)

Karen Fantastic review Julie!

Julie Karen wrote: "Fantastic review Julie!"

Thank you so much, Karen!! Take care and stay well! 💖

Paromjit Brilliant review as always, dear Julie....delighted you loved this! :) 🌼🥰🌷

Julie Paromjit wrote: "Brilliant review as always, dear Julie....delighted you loved this! :) 🌼🥰🌷"

Thank you very much, Paromjit!! Take care and stay well! 💖

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader This is a fantastic review, Julie! I loved this book, too, and I can’t wait for what’s next from this author. ❤️

Julie Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "This is a fantastic review, Julie! I loved this book, too, and I can’t wait for what’s next from this author. ❤️"

Thank you, dear Jennifer!! Take care and stay well! 💖

message 35: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Good review— and like you, I appreciate a book that lives up to its expectations!

Julie Heidi wrote: "Good review— and like you, I appreciate a book that lives up to its expectations!"

Thanks so much, Heidi!! Me too- so often times they don't. 💖

Michelle Wonderful review, Julie! 💙 I agree that this one lived up to the hype.

Julie Michelle wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie! 💙 I agree that this one lived up to the hype."

Thank you, Michelle!! I'm eagerly anticipating the next book by Angie Kim! 💖

message 39: by Kaceey (new) - added it

Kaceey Excellent review Julie!💜

Holly  B Perfect review Julie! This was a good one.

Julie Kaceey wrote: "Excellent review Julie!💜"

Thank you so much, Kaceey!! 💖

Julie Holly wrote: "Perfect review Julie! This was a good one."

Thanks so much, dear Holly!! 💖

message 43: by Tinichix (new) - added it

Tinichix (nicole) This has been on my list for a while now, based on your review I may need to make it a priority! Great review. Glad you enjoyed it.

Julie Tinichix wrote: "This has been on my list for a while now, based on your review I may need to make it a priority! Great review. Glad you enjoyed it."

Thanks so much!! I hope you can work this one into your schedule someday. A very impressive debut! 💖

tamar I'm really glad you enjoyed this...sadly not my experience. It took me six tries to finish this book...I only bothered to keep going because all my friends on Goodreads loved it.

message 46: by Paula (new)

Paula Beautiful review, Julie!

Julie Paula wrote: "Beautiful review, Julie!"

Thanks so much, Paula!! 💖

Julie tamar wrote: "I'm really glad you enjoyed this...sadly not my experience. It took me six tries to finish this book...I only bothered to keep going because all my friends on Goodreads loved it."

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this one, Tamar! It happens. We don't always enjoy the same books. That's what makes the world go 'round. 💖

JanB Wonderful review Julie! I loved this one too and the story has stuck with me.

Julie JanB wrote: "Wonderful review Julie! I loved this one too and the story has stuck with me."

Thank you very much, Jan!! I've thought of it often, too. An awesome debut! 💖