Fanna's Reviews > Wicked Saints

Wicked Saints by Emily A. Duncan

72205668
Wicked Saints will give you a saint who can ask (and be granted) God for powers, a boy from the 'other side' who doesn't believe in God, a prince who's apparently cruel, loads of blood magic and power harnessing, heartbreaks, and heart flutters.

"We're all monsters, Nadya."
"Some of us just hide it better than others."

The plot of this book impresses me like no other. It combines beliefs and thoughts into understandable chaos that certainly mashes up to, unfortunately, force you to take sides. But you can't! Because the characters are complex and they believe in what they believe in, and there won't be a point where you can clearly call one right and the other wrong. It's a great fantasy that is built on the power of magic.

"And who are you that you can do what countless others have failed at over a century?" No one. Just a girl. Some small scrap of divinity. She shrugged. "I'm the first person who refuses to fail."

The characters are amazing. Nadya is on the run from the cruel prince or anyone from the enemy side, her beads working as a connection between her and the Gods. She's gifted but is also intelligent, smart, and uses her heart on the right occasions. Serefin is the prince whose father is eager to sacrifice him for power, his hands adorn a cut every now and then when he uses his blood magic. He's not too keen on emotions but he's definitely cunning to find a way out of anything. There are other characters who I'm not mentioning for spoiler purposes. Just pick up the book already!

"How do you do it? Live without faith?"

The writing is another aspect that I would love to appreciate. It stunningly encompasses every emotion and setting while developing the story in a very subtle manner. You'll never know when you start loving (OR HATING) a character and suddenly there's a twist. The alternate POVs are always hard to execute so well but I guess Emily Duncan can help you learn through this book.

"You have your monsters; they have their demons."

Finally, I don't know what else to say about this book without either spoiling it for you or sounding repetitive. So trust me, just pick it up and trust me, you won't be disappointed!

Initial Reaction: There's only darkness inside me. This book helped me realize it. Very. Grateful. Also, my heart is in pieces, it's broken. I'm dead. Everyone, read this when it comes out on April 2nd so I'm not the only one who's dead. Pre-order!

Quotes are from an advances reader copy so might differ from the final release. I received a digital copy of this via Netgalley but that, in no way, influences my rating and/or review. Thank you, Wednesday Books and Emily A. Duncan!

Blog/Website | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Pinterest

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Saints.

December 15, 2018 – Shelved
December 19, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
December 19, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy
March 17, 2019 – Started Reading
March 17, 2019 –
4.0% "I know it's too early to speak but I'm absolutely loving the writing."
March 19, 2019 –
8.0% "[Perhaps blinding the children of the enemy before murdering them was a religious thing.]

This is a book with some really dark characters. Which is why I'm loving it."
March 19, 2019 –
10.0% "So basically, the female protagonist of this book can converse with all the Gods, get her prayers instantly granted and how cool is that? The concept is lit! And so is the humour.

[...the god of speed was notoriously slow to answer prayers.]"
March 19, 2019 –
13.0% "[The future was magic, it was power, it was mankind stepping out of the shadows and finding out the world has been kept in the dark by these gods. Not even gods, but rules and rigors kept in place by men of the church.]"
March 20, 2019 –
30.0% "Absolutely loving this. It has so much magic and action and complex characters and ugh, this will be a favourite. I can sense it."
March 21, 2019 –
34.0% "[Very little is known about the Goddess of the Sun. Quiet and eternal, she has never granted her power to any mortal, none know what would happen if she ever did.]"
March 22, 2019 –
40.0% "[He was a weapon, never a prince.]"
March 22, 2019 –
45.0% "[Having the power granted to you, and acknowledging that beings of power exist, isn't the same as acknowledging that those beings are benevolent or even sentient.]"
March 22, 2019 –
58.0% "I'm loving the slow burn, enemies-to-lovers romance because ughhhh, it's so much fun."
March 22, 2019 –
60.0% "[One day in this cursed city and she was already tired of the sight of blood.]"
March 22, 2019 –
67.0% "["We're all monsters...some of us just hide it better than others."]"
March 23, 2019 – Finished Reading