emma's Reviews > Lolita

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

I'm, uh...putting this one down. For a while.

(I definitely left it at home when I left for school by accident and not at all on purpose.)

------

Well. I'm reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lolita.

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)

message 1: by Natalia (new) - added it

Natalia I have dnfed this one a thousand times already. I really want to finish it one day, though. I'm super excited for your review!

message 2: by Riza (new)

Riza Man I ended up DNFing this one. The writing style is absolutely beautiful but I can't stomach the topic. Hope you enjoy it!

Isabelle can’t wait to see what you think!

sidsel89 Found it so boring, is that bad?

message 5: by emma (new) - added it

emma Natalia wrote: "I have dnfed this one a thousand times already. I really want to finish it one day, though. I'm super excited for your review!"

i tried to just read it outright yesterday but realized it's a book you definitely need breaks from!!

message 6: by emma (new) - added it

emma Riza wrote: "Man I ended up DNFing this one. The writing style is absolutely beautiful but I can't stomach the topic. Hope you enjoy it!"

i'm trying to take breaks and hoping that helps me get through it :/

message 7: by emma (new) - added it

emma Isabelle wrote: "can’t wait to see what you think!"

me too tbh

message 8: by emma (new) - added it

emma sidsel89 wrote: "Found it so boring, is that bad?"

lmao not "bad"

message 9: by Natalia (new) - added it

Natalia emma wrote: "Natalia wrote: "I have dnfed this one a thousand times already. I really want to finish it one day, though. I'm super excited for your review!"

i tried to just read it outright yesterday but reali..."

I know what you mean haha let's say I'm taking a 4 year break from it

message 10: by emma (new) - added it

emma Natalia wrote: "emma wrote: "Natalia wrote: "I have dnfed this one a thousand times already. I really want to finish it one day, though. I'm super excited for your review!"

i tried to just read it outright yester..."

lmao probably the perfect break length

Lee 🦆 I've read parts but never finished. I think it is interesting to see how he is so absorbed in his warped view that he misses a lot which the reader can see. I liked seeing how Lolita fights back and just the psychological study of all of it.

message 12: by Kikat (new) - rated it 1 star

Kikat Ugh! This book is equivalent to getting your eyes poked, unpleasant and unnecessary! Hope you enjoy it though..

Cecilia Gomes It’s so good! The writing is so beautiful. Nabokov has a exquisitely unique way of describing the USA. I don’t understand people who can’t deal with the content of the book, it isn’t graphic at all, or too crude. I think most people start reading it already judging the book because of its reputation, but despite the grotesque subject, Nabokov does an amazing job writing Humbert as a monster you hate yourself for sympathizing with, which has you doubting his every word and even the existence of Lolita herself.

Lee 🦆 Cecilia wrote: "It’s so good! The writing is so beautiful. Nabokov has a exquisitely unique way of describing the USA. I don’t understand people who can’t deal with the content of the book, it isn’t graphic at all..."

Sarah Just read this a couple months ago. Had a knot in my stomach the whole time. I’m really interested to see what you think of Humbert, I know there are a lot of people who find him to be a sympathetic character (I am not.....among them).

Cecilia Gomes Just read this a couple months ago. Had a knot in my stomach the whole time. I’m really interested to see what you think of Humbert, I know there are a lot of people who find him to be a sympathetic character (I am not.....among them).

It's not so much that he IS a sympathetic character, but he tries the entire time to convince you that he actually "loves" Lolita and Nabokov writes it in such a poetic way, that even though you KNOW he's a disgusting pedophile, you have to constantly watch yourself so you don't let yourself be manipulated by his words.

Cecilia Gomes oooh I never thought of doubting the existence of Lolita!! This is so interesting. Have you read any of his other books? I don't know if I should start with Pale Fire or this one.

I know right! It's such an interesting theory because it's not that far off, most of what happens in the book is so outlandish and nonsensical that one has to wonder if Humbert is just writing a fantasy rather than real life (he is a literature professor, after all) But at the same time, probably just a theory, because if I'm not mistaken the book is inspired by a real crime that happened in the 50s.

I'm planning to read Pale Fire very soon! I would start with that after Lolita. The premise is so interesting!

message 18: by emma (new) - added it

emma love to see some literary discussion in the comments (but won't be reading it till i'm finished)

message 19: by Cheyenne (new) - added it

Cheyenne Corvillion It sucks the company behind this book rebranded it. People assume that Lolita was in love with him and was "asking for it" or they understand this is a book about a pedophile but think the author was trying to support it. Once you get past all the slug around this book it is really amazing. This book is about a pedophile who took advantage of a teen that had no where else to go. Reading through the eyes of the monster is harsh but that and the writing is what makes the book good for me. I just wish people would stop sexualizing Lolita and see her as the victim she was.

Cecilia Gomes Couldn’t have said it better, Cheyenne!

message 21: by Cheyenne (new) - added it

Cheyenne Corvillion Thank you 😀

Montana I completely agree with Cecilia. The writing is such that you have to remind yourself over and over that this guy is doing something incredibly wrong. It’s a fascinating read for sure

message 23: by emma (new) - added it

emma Cheyenne wrote: "It sucks the company behind this book rebranded it. People assume that Lolita was in love with him and was "asking for it" or they understand this is a book about a pedophile but think the author w..."

love this!! any romanticization of the "relationship"/judgment of Lolita for her perceived role in her own suffering is so bleh. not what the book is about at all!

message 24: by Maddy (new)

Maddy It takes a lot to disturb me but I couldn't get through this I think I've still got a book mark in at like page 100. Don't know if I'll pick it up again..

Scarlet Cameo This one is a hard bone, But is really good, disturbing but good.

message 26: by emma (new) - added it

emma Scarlet Cameo wrote: "This one is a hard bone, But is really good, disturbing but good."

i feel that! i'll come back to it i just need a break

message 27: by emma (new) - added it

emma Maddy wrote: "It takes a lot to disturb me but I couldn't get through this I think I've still got a book mark in at like page 100. Don't know if I'll pick it up again.."

i had a reaaaal tough time getting through this one (and only made it about halfway)

Sandra Honestly takes a lot to make me uncomfortable but quite honestly I couldn’t get past 100 pages.

message 29: by emma (new) - added it

emma Sandra wrote: "Honestly takes a lot to make me uncomfortable but quite honestly I couldn’t get past 100 pages."

relatable, i started taking a break right before the halfway point and then that break just...didn't end

message 30: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Schofield I read this so many years ago, in my early twenties and loved it. As a mum to an 8 year old daughter I’d be interested to reread it now and see if I had the same reaction. I guess it’s about where

message 31: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Schofield Oops! .. where you are in your life as to how you react to it. The difference in me from a 20 year old to a 45 year old seems a world apart.

message 32: by emma (new) - added it

emma Joanne wrote: "I read this so many years ago, in my early twenties and loved it. As a mum to an 8 year old daughter I’d be interested to reread it now and see if I had the same reaction. I guess it’s about where"

Joanne wrote: "Oops! .. where you are in your life as to how you react to it. The difference in me from a 20 year old to a 45 year old seems a world apart."

it would be interesting!! i'm reading this in my early twenties now but still am finding it hard to stomach enough to make it through