Kaa's Reviews > The Farthest Shore

The Farthest Shore by Ursula K. Le Guin

19931478

bookshelves: sffbc-ratb, group-buddy-reads, favorite-series

I don't really know what there is to say about a book that managed to evoke both some of the most difficult moments and the most wonderful moments I've ever experienced. The discussions of death, depression, and suicide are intense and very real, yet so are the moments of beauty. Late in the book, Arren thinks to himself, "I do not care what comes after; I have seen the dragons on the wind of morning," and I immediately recognized that feeling of breathless appreciation that I have only ever known to be prompted by the perfect moment in nature or truly great art. Le Guin was, without a doubt, both a great artist and a great appreciator of the beauty in life, and both are very apparent in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Farthest Shore.

Quotes Kaa Liked

Ursula K. Le Guin
“I do not care what comes after; I have seen the dragons on the wind of morning.”
Ursula K. Le Guin, The Farthest Shore

Ursula K. Le Guin
“This is. And thou art. There is no safety. There is no end. The word must be heard in silence. There must be darkness to see the stars. The dance is always danced above the hollow place, above the terrible abyss.”
Ursula K. LeGuin, The Farthest Shore

December 14, 2018 – Shelved
December 14, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
December 16, 2018 – Shelved as: sffbc-ratb
February 24, 2019 – Shelved as: group-buddy-reads
August 22, 2019 – Started Reading
October 18, 2019 –
13.0% "exCUSE you, Ged, did you just forget about Tenar?"
November 18, 2019 –
61.0% ""This is. And thou art. There is no safety. There is no end. The word must be heard in silence. There must be darkness to see the stars. The dance is always danced above the hollow place, above the hollow abyss.""
November 18, 2019 –
74.0% ""I do not care what comes after; I have seen the dragons on the wind of morning.""
November 18, 2019 – Shelved as: favorite-series