Julie Decker's Reviews > Steven Universe Orignal Graphic Novel: Ultimate Dough-Down

Steven Universe Orignal Graphic Novel by Talya Perper

Look out, donut lovers: the Ultimate Dough Down is back in town, and even though Sadie Miller has quit her job at the Big Donut, her boss has convinced her to participate in one last hurrah: she must compete in the regional donut competition to represent the company, facing down her old enemy King Kruller (whose entire business seems more focused on dissing her donut chain than anything else). But there's one big problem: Sadie always did the competition with the reluctant assistance of her friend/co-worker/maybe more? Lars, and Lars has also moved on. To space. Yeah, about that. He's busy being a reanimated space pirate who's light years away in space with some outcast aliens, currently trying to get back to Earth while avoiding the pursuit of a Really Angry Gem named Emerald. Sadie's not getting help from Lars this time. Who can she ask? Steven and the Crystal Gems to the rescue, of course. But if Sadie can't stop living her life haunted by remnants of Lars, her chances at the competition--and of living a satisfying, functional existence--are dropping sharply with every daydream. Maybe Steven has some perspective on that too. . . .

This was flat-out adorable. We've had quite a few comics that focused on food competitions in the past, but this is the first full graphic novel that did so, and I like how it turned out. (I guess competitions make a short-term, easily concluded, not-too-important plot take shape where the stakes are compelling but the results won't affect the canon of the television show, and that's perfect for a self-contained adventure.) Sadie's emotional arc was nuanced and compelling, and interestingly portrayed. We didn't have too many great moments with the Gems (who functioned as supporting characters here), but they each had their own little bits, and I especially liked Garnet being a big dork and casually using her future-telling powers to ring up donut customers before they'd ordered. And if you like rare Fusions, you do get a little treat: Sardonyx pitches in with some very showy marketing for the donut truck, and it's handled very well. Overall it felt like this writer REALLY understands the characters--not only what their history is and what makes them tick, but also what makes the audience love them. This may have been my favorite graphic novel so far, though I also liked Anti-Gravity.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steven Universe Orignal Graphic Novel.

December 11, 2018 – Started Reading