Callum McLaughlin's Reviews > A Literary Christmas: An Anthology

A Literary Christmas by The British Library

bookshelves: classics, festive, short-stories, poetry

This was a wonderful little treasure trove of festive writings, perfect for getting into the Christmas spirit in the build up to the big day. I liked that there's a mix of both prose and poetry, and it's nicely structured, being split into different sections (Before Christmas, The Nativity, Christmas Day, Christmas Fare, Christmas at War, A Child's Christmas, Seasonal Snow and Ice, and New Year).

As with any anthology, there were of course some writing styles featured that I enjoyed more than others. Christmas at Sea by Robert Louis Stevenson was easily the stand-out piece for me. It is wonderfully evocative, and incredibly poignant. I read it three times back-to-back just to soak it all in. Other highlights included: A Christmas Carol by Christina Rossetti; A Visit from St Nicholas by Clement Clarke Moore; and extracts from Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence, and Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.

It's beautifully packaged, and would make a lovely gift at this time of year. As a reading experience, it was thoroughly enchanting, and it also served as a nice way to sample a few authors I hadn't tried before.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Literary Christmas.

December 14, 2018 – Started Reading