Leah Nadeau's Reviews > Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams

Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker

Holy crap what an AMAZING book! I looooooved this. I had no idea how important sleep was to us... Everyone should read this. There is such a lack of education from sleep. Sleep is more important than diet and exercise.
As an adult you need between7-9hr of sleep per night.
Sleeping pills don't do shit.
Youth and elderly need sleeping the most. If you don't allow teenagers their much needed sleep it increases the chance they will have a mental conditional, higher chance of suicide and so much more.
There was one guy who literally couldn't sleep, he didn't sleep for 10 months and he actually died. He just shrivelled away into nothing, he wasn't even able to talk, he just turned into a zombie.
Sleep rejuvenates us, it cleans up the mess we made when we're awake and we learn and process everything from the day.
Some plants have circadian rhythm which means plants in total darkness will still bloom during day time and close up at night even with no sun
Humans circadian Rhythms actually 24 hours and 15min but that’s too confusing to work with so we use 24hr
We all synchronize with daylight, sun goes up, sun goes down. Also repeating food, exercise, temperature fluctuation, even regularly timed social interaction can set your clock
Decaf doesn’t mean no caffeine it’s about 30% caffeine still in there
Half life of a drug means how many hours did it take for the drug to be 50% gone from the system and for caffeine that’s about 5-7hr. So if you have a coffee at 6pm that means 50% of it is still in your system at 1-2am. You loose the jolt though

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Sleep.

December 13, 2018 – Shelved
December 13, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
April 4, 2019 – Started Reading
April 4, 2019 –
10.0% "Many reasons why sleep is so important! Lot's about the circadian rhythm"
April 8, 2019 –
30.0% "Wow I'm learning so much from this book! I didn't know just how important sleep is..."
April 9, 2019 –
April 16, 2019 –
60.0% "I'm reading this slow because it's sooooo informative!!! I need to read it over again and take notes lol"
April 19, 2019 –
65.0% "Can't rush this book"
April 20, 2019 –