Tom's Reviews > Bad Luck and Trouble

Bad Luck and Trouble by Lee Child

it was ok
bookshelves: abandoned

Good late night change of pace after reading Austen's archaic prose earlier in evening. According to the massive ad campaign for his newest book, Child seems to be the latest boss of the hard-boiled crime scene, complete with damaged, loner anti-hero hero as protag. Only 30 pgs into it, but so far, so good. The prose is pretty blunt and spare -- more Hammett than Chandler -- but effective.

I stopped reading a few weeks ago,after a 100+ pgs, and haven't felt compelled to return to it. Characters seemed to spend way more time thinking about what's gone wrong and what to do next, without really accomplishing much and not revealing much about themselves. To put it simply, the story got dull -- not a good sign for a mystery. I've probably abandoned it for good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Luck and Trouble.

Finished Reading
July 3, 2008 – Shelved
October 14, 2008 – Shelved as: abandoned

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Zachary B wow. I thought it was good

message 2: by Tom (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tom Zachary wrote: "wow. I thought it was good"

I've been thinking I need to give Child another chance. His reviews are uniformly high, across so many volumes, but this one just didn't zing me -- the language, the plot, the characters. The library shelves are filled with his books, so I'll grab another randomly at some point.

Mike I started my first Reacher novel a little more than 12 days ago. Today I just buried my eighth. I can’t put them down.

message 4: by Tom (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tom In 2017 I read two Reacher novels: Make Me and Night School. Liked them both very much and plan to read more at some point. Right now I'm rotating mystery / thriller series among John Rebus, Matthew Scudder, Bernie Gunther, Quirke, and newest discovery, Richard Stark's Parker series. Where Reacher ranks on that list I couldn't say yet, but regardless, count me converted.