Miranda Reads's Reviews > Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things

Furiously Happy by Jenny  Lawson

bookshelves: 2018-popsugar-reading-challenge

Be prepared for laugh-out-loud hilarity from cover to cover
Don’t make the same mistakes that everyone else makes. Make wonderful mistakes. Make the kind of mistakes that make people so shocked that they have no other choice but to be a little impressed.
Jenny Lawson provides a shockingly funny and heartwarming memoir on what it is like to live with severe depression and other varying conditions.

I really liked how she took something so serious, and so often talked about in the most PC and kiddie-gloved way, and made it funny - but not in the cruel sort of funny - she finds enjoyable and often comedic moments even in her darkest times.
Depression is like … when you don’t want cheese anymore. Even though it’s cheese.
And that's not to say she doesn't get serious, she does:
When you come out of the grips of a depression there is an incredible relief, but not one you feel allowed to celebrate. Instead, the feeling of victory is replaced with anxiety that it will happen again...
but she never lets the depression be the driving force of her book.
Like my grandmother always said, “Your opinions are valid and important. Unless it’s some stupid bullshit you’re being shitty about, in which case you can just go fuck yourself.”
Overall, this is one book where the title absolutely fits it to a T.

Lawson focuses on being furiously happy - where she takes on her depression with a manic energy reserved for only the most sugar-addicted five-year-olds - and she shares the various ups and downs her philosophy has.
Normal is boring. Weird is better. Goats are awesome, but only in small quantities.
And above all, her book preaches self-care and self-worth.
The only person you need to be better than is the person you were yesterday
Truly an inspiring and enjoyable read.

And remember, whenever life gets you down:
I AM GOING TO BE FURIOUSLY HAPPY, OUT OF SHEER SPITE.
The 2018 POPSUGAR Reading Challenge - a book about mental health

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Furiously Happy.

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine I love that cover- it makes me happy. Looking forward to your review.

Sarah ( A GIRL WHO LIVES IN BOOKS ) thanks Miranda for a very exciting review

so I really don't know how is this book
I'll get it after reading my favourite book which I am recently reading;
little princess
then I'll give a recommend on it

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate Donahue Madden nice butt video Chase Xavier zoning love kids John hi got fly dog sheep all poppy other I've until year that really everyone which question vs