Jesse (JesseTheReader)'s Reviews > Nineteen Eighty-Four

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

This was an up and down kind of read for me. There were parts that I really enjoyed and parts that I found extremely difficult to maneuver through. I'm glad that I decided to pick it up and give it a go, because it's one that I've been curious about for a long time. I can definitely see why so many people love this book. It explores a lot of things that we see happening in the world today. I can't say I'm leaving it as a massive fan, but I'm sure it's one that I'll continue to think about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nineteen Eighty-Four.

December 12, 2018 – Started Reading
December 12, 2018 – Shelved
December 12, 2018 –
page 143
December 13, 2018 –
page 227
67.56% "chapter nine was a snoozefest.. hope it doesn't continue to be like that moving forward."
December 15, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

Kaylie This entire book is a snoozefest, in my opinion. I really hope you like it more than I did.

COMPLETELY_BOOKISH While 1984 was slow I still loved it. 1984 is something that really stuck with me and I found myself thinking about it months after reading it.

Alyssa Cohen I agree with your review 100%, even though I haven't finished it yet.

Kelsey I read it years ago and wrote my extended essay about in. In terms of dire futures, it pretty scary. I prefer The Giver over 1984.

message 5: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah Maddix I’ve read a good chunk but have not finished it.

message 6: by Ori sofer (new)

Ori sofer 1984 is something that resonate with you for along time. together with the lord of the flies and the trial(kafka) it's one of the most important books that came from the 20 century.

Hayley K It's a book that left me feeling quite hopeless but glad to have read it.

Rachel Musser We by Yevgeny Zamyatin is the book that inspired this one and Aldous Huxley's Brave New World.

message 9: by Diogo (new)

Diogo Beirão I feel like I have to read as it is considered a classic by so many people. Hope to buy it soon!

Alexis I can understand your review. At the time I read it in school and loved my teacher. I think on my own I would have a harder time with the book and not like as much

Malja This is exactly what I feel about this book..

message 12: by Madeline (new) - added it

Madeline Thinking about it is all the writer wanted you to feel, I think. I'm not sure if you're meant to love it, or just
be affected by it!

message 13: by Ori sofer (new)

Ori sofer You are right (Madeline) of course not all books meant to entertain. The good ones need to let you think about the reality, which is far from entertaining.

Grant Sullivan I totally agree, because at points the story line does get vague and to detailed, which is not a bad thing. It just gets slow at points during the book. But overall it is a well written book, which really reflect our society back when he wrote the book in 1948, and leading up to 2018. Which is my favorite part of the book, and how it can be connected to our society.

Aysha Very true. But this is such a classic.

message 16: by Blake (new) - added it

Blake Stewart I agree with this because I found the book interesting at certain points and then at other points I found it hard to get through with how boring it got. My worst part of the book is that how slow the book got, it made it very hard to keep reading or keep interest.

Tyler Parks I understand 100% what you mean by an up and down read. There were so many parts of 1984 where the figurative language and implicit meanings were too much to handle. It would leave me confused on what was happening and what was going to happen. I as well am not a huge fan of reading this book, but it was good enough to satisfy my brain and make me continue to think about how the book relates to today's society more than it should.

message 18: by Keatyn (new) - added it

Keatyn Good I definitely agree with the fact that this is an up and down read. There are plenty of highs but with plenty of lows with it as well. There were parts in the book that just dragged on and just were very repetitive. The book I think is one of the best at making you think and it makes you think very deep into the world we live in

Linda Shavoshvili I absolutely adore this book, but it really is difficult to read. When i was reading it i dnfed it at first.

ImagineAnge Can’t wait to hear more about what you thought of it!

ImagineAnge You should try Fahrenheit 451. It’s kind of the same idea with a society that encourages oppressive censorship of media but more fast paced than 1984.