Malia's Reviews > Poems That Make Grown Men Cry: 100 Men on the Words That Move Them

Poems That Make Grown Men Cry by Anthony Holden

bookshelves: best-of-2018, poetry

I started reading this book thinking I am not the best judge of good poetry, yet when I finished it I thought, who really is? What makes poetry good is so subjective, merely whether it moves its reader. What do rhyme scheme and iamb matter, if the words arranged as they are conjure gooseflesh to your skin?
As with any anthology, some of these poems moved me deeply and others left me cold. It was interesting to read the reason of the contributors for choosing each work, and I found myself scribbling down a list of all the poems I liked best, a list which now holds a good twenty titles. This book was a big break for me from my usual fiction heavy fare, but I needed something different and am very glad I reached for something which might have been slightly intimidating to me. Recommended!

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poems That Make Grown Men Cry.

December 12, 2018 – Started Reading
December 12, 2018 – Shelved
December 15, 2018 – Shelved as: best-of-2018
December 15, 2018 – Shelved as: poetry
December 15, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Samy (new)

Samy I'll check it out! Did you cry?

message 2: by Nat (new)

Nat K Great review Malia. I agree, poetry is very subjective. Probably why so many people tend to steer clear of it. Which is a shame.

Malia Samy wrote: "I'll check it out! Did you cry?"

I did not (then I am no grown man...;-), but I found many of the poems really moving!

Malia Nat wrote: "Great review Malia. I agree, poetry is very subjective. Probably why so many people tend to steer clear of it. Which is a shame."

Very true, Nat!