Challice Neipp's Reviews > Mansfield Park

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

bookshelves: read-the-classics-challenge

“She was not often invited to join in the conversation of the others, nor did she desire it. Her own thoughts and reflections were habitually her best companions.”

Mansfield Park has always been my favorite Austen book growing up. I had seen the BBC 1983 mini series several times as a child growing up. And I read it my first time in my young teen years. Recently I decided to pick it up again. All my memories of what I thought this book held was shattered by what I actually read.

What I thought was that Fanny was more of a quiet child watching and observing with deep thought and strength of character. The beginning of the book actually shares that she is a young girl very scared by everything, fearful that she will upset someone, and does live life as a doormat. Edmund I always assumed was misguided and was taken in by a pretty face, Crawford, but in reality, it is his nature throughout the whole book and it is Fanny that constantly reminds him of what is good and true.

Now, what I remember about Fanny being moral and love of reading and serving, that is true and it is the Fanny that I love. I got through my let down of the first 200 or so pages and then everything picked up and I fell in love all over again.

I think what I loved most about Fanny is how much I am like her and I want to be more like her in her strength where I am weak. I am not as outgoing in person as Elizabeth. Eleanor is more like my character but I am still drawn to Fanny. Probably what irritates me most is the physical weakness Fanny has. It seems to Victorian, I suppose. I wish I could put my finger on it. It doesn't seem real enough but I have never been in want of good exercise, warmth, and I don't have a selfish aunt Norris breathing down my neck at every crumb that can be spared for me. Fanny is adored by all, she is civil to all, but in the end she will stand for what she believes in. I cannot be more admirable of that! So much pressure. So much growing up to please others, and yet when it comes down to doing what she knows is right, she stands for what is right regardless of others opinions of her and even disappointing her love ones.

I seriously do love this book. More serious than Austen's other novels. Longer. But oh.. so worth it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mansfield Park.

Quotes Challice Liked

Jane Austen
“We have all a better guide in ourselves, if we would attend to it, than any other person can be.”

Jane Austen
“Her own thoughts and reflections were habitually her best companions.”

Jane Austen
“A fondness for reading, properly directed, must be an education in itself.”

Jane Austen
“I was quiet, but I was not blind.”

December 12, 2018 – Started Reading