Lacer's Reviews > Gentlemen and Players

Gentlemen and Players by Joanne Harris

U 50x66

I really liked Gentlemen & Players, set in a private boys grammar school, it tells the tale of the child of the school porter who infiltrates the school. Years later the child is back as a teacher, intent on revenge. The story is told from the perspective of the child / vengeful teacher and Roy Straitley, a curmudgeonly old Latin teacher clinging on as his little world gets squeezed out by modern languages and computers. The vengeful teacher has a particular bone to pick with Straitley and things start to go wrong for the poor old guy but Straitley is not going to go quietly.

I loved how real the school felt, with the tribes of different teacher characters (the suits, the tweed jackets, the beards). I also loved how although the vengeful teacher was definitely the bad guy, Harris definitely made the character the hero of their own story and you could, if not empathise, understand where they were coming from.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gentlemen and Players.

December 12, 2018 – Started Reading