Billy Buttons's Reviews > Monday's Ball

Illustrations: 10/10
Story/Plot: 9/10
Writing Style: 7/10
Editing: 8/10

‘A charming story, stunningly illustrated, and with a powerful message for children.’ A ‘Wishing Shelf’ Book Review

REVIEW
There are many wonderful elements to this story but by far the best is the fact it is different. Being a parent, I often feel exasperated by the endless Disney films full of big-eyed, ridiculously skinny damsels being saved by a tall, handsome prince. Well this story is different. Not only is it wonderfully illustrated, but the message to children is a message parents will want them to understand.
The refreshingly simple, and the often very clever writing style adds a lot to the story. Admittedly, the odd sentence is a little clumsy. But, overall, there is plenty of pace to the story, and the ending will bring a smile to anybody’s face.
There is a small array of characters in the book, and most of them are interesting and well-developed. The author seems to know the characters very well, even if they are only in it for a line or two. I am particularly fond of Monday and the boy’s mother; both are richly devised and have a depth often only discovered in books thirty chapters longer.
Although I loved the story, it was the drawings that drew me in. The layout of the story needs a little work, but the style of the illustrations is excellent. In fact, not just excellent, they are stunning! The illustrator is fantastically talented at showing the reader everything they need to see to help them to not only understand the text but also to add to it. I find many picture books too ‘Disney’, but this book has a wonderfully ‘classic’ feel to it which I very much enjoyed.
So, would I recommend this book? Absolutely! I would think any child aged 5 – 8 would find the characters intriguing, and the plot mesmerizing. Also, and this is important, I think parents would not only enjoy it too, but would be happy with the message cleverly hidden away in the folds of this quirky tale.
All in all, a well-thought out story backed up by a very artistic pen. I would imagine young children – and parents – enjoying this book for many bedtime reads.

A ‘Wishing Shelf’ Book Review
www.thewsa.co.uk

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monday's Ball.

Finished Reading