Sarah's Reviews > The Queen of Bloody Everything

The Queen of Bloody Everything by Joanna Nadin

An evocative, poignant and funny novel that explores a fraught mother/daughter relationship across several decades, The Queen of Bloody Everything is a delight.

As the daughter of an artist mother (though mine, thank goodness, is not the lush that Edie is and is still trucking, if slowly, at 85) who grew up in the 70s, this this struck a chord from the off. Given my brothers work in tv news, I am a writer like Dido (this novel’s protagonist) and have lived with an alcoholic - hell, I’ve even my very own Tom - it’s probably not surprising. But that The Queen of Bloody Everything so relatable is not down to this string of coincidences, not at all. It’s that Joanna Nadin has created such a relatable character in Dido that many readers will hear echoes of their own experiences throughout.

It’s written with empathy but isn’t sentimental, and the characters are richly and convincingly drawn. My brother and sister-in-law also loved it, and if you like your novels warm, witty and wise, chances are The Queen of Bloody Everything will have your name on it too.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen of Bloody Everything.

December 8, 2018 – Started Reading