Jade's Reviews > Deadlocked

Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris

Jan 15, 2012

liked it
Read from May 05 to 07, 2012 — I own a copy

Charlaine Harris and Her Sookie Stackhouse novels are finally back!! 3 stars.

I was happy to get the feel of the Old Sookie Books I used to love so much. The same formula filled in with new stories with familiar characters. I was happy to see that. It worked for me. As the story continued along though, I thought that even-though, there was the usual - dead body mystery, and Sookie mixing her trips to the library, post office, singing in the car and trying to figure out whodunit- there was also this jaded feeling. Mostly on behalf of Sookie, if not from the entire story. Yet, I was happy to see how Sookie had learned from her experiences, how she is a different person from the one who started all those years ago. You can tell how all her experiences have molded her and how heavy all the challenges she has faced have affected her character.

I liked it, but I was not in love with it. I was not 100% invested in what I was reading. I was reading the series more out of curiosity than a true feeling of love for the characters. I guess I am a bit jaded too. The past few books have not been as great as I was used to. The LAST book only served to make me want tear it into pieces. I was so mad /disappointed. This book felt better, but I was still feeling a bit bored at the lack of what was going on. Even the revelations seemed to be dealt with in an understated manner, there was really no action, or overall strong emotions exacted...until the last 4 pages that is. It absolutely ended with a bang. You can see how one incident will become catalyst for the events that are sure to happen in the next book. Just like in the first 9 books for me, I cannot wait for the next book to come out. I will be waiting impatiently to find out what happens next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadlocked.

05/06/2012 page 76
22.0% "So far so good. It is reminding me of old Sookie. Not much has happened, but you can tell a lot is brewing."
05/07/2012 page 249
76.0% "How I wish I could thump a fictional literary character over the head. *sigh*"