⚔ Silvia ⚓'s Reviews > Fake Out

Fake Out by Eden Finley

it was ok
bookshelves: trope-fake-dating, trope-thought-they-were-straight, mm-romance, sport, dnf

DNF @ 78%

I don't like giving up on books that far ahead but I went into this because of the fake boyfriend and the character who didn't who he wasn't straight tropes, and both of those aspects got solved very quickly (before the 50% mark).

That alone was enough to make me lose interest in the story, but I would've kept going if it wasn't for a couple more things:

• this book is incredibly transphobic, in that casual way that makes me think the author only cares about certain shades of the lgbtqiap+ spectrum.

• once the characters got together, their relationship seemed to be all about them having sex and that's not what I was in the mood to read, because they became pretty much two dimensional after resolving their initial issues.

• there was a side character who's depicted as homophobic because he couldn't accept being attracted to a man. Not saying this can't happen but I fucking hate that trope and having to read about a homophobic prick in a book that is meant to be otherwise light-hearted and queer-oriented is upsetting.

• this is more personal but the storyline of the second half of the book was triggering me and this is the main reason why I couldn't continue. (TW for a relative with illness).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fake Out.