Philip Pepper's Reviews > The WEIRD CEO: How to lead in a world dominated by Artificial Intelligence

The WEIRD CEO by Charles Towers-Clark

U 50x66

This book will question your assumptions. Charles Towers-Clark is a CEO who, after running one large company, decided to do it differently a second time around. This book tells you what happens when employees set their own pay, know what everyone else is paid (including the CEO), can see all the company’s financial data, and can choose what work to do and how to go about it. Towers-Clark is a CEO who is actively giving up control, fundamentally challenging what it means to be a boss and, as a consequence, what it is to be employed in the collective project we call work.
Towers-Clark considers the dialectic between a prevailing thesis of AI driven automation and the impact this will have on the way we work, and a radical antithesis in the form of the W.E.I.R.D approach to fostering a new kind of corporate culture. (W.E.I.R.D is an acronym for the personal qualities this approach urges us to exercise).
Of course it’s not all plain sailing. Rational employee resistance to trading orthodox security for challenging responsibility, and the author’s dilemma in bring them around to his way of thinking without resorting to managerial fiat is what makes this an engaging human story.
Read the book to find out if this bold experiment is a success, and whether you think it’s just a bonkers notion or if Towers-Clark has hit on a more rational, resourceful and creative engagement with the enterprise and organisation of work. You’ll find plenty of acute observations and stimulating ideas along the way. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The WEIRD CEO.

November 29, 2018 – Started Reading