Story_Girl's Reviews > Laura Ingalls Wilder: A Biography

Laura Ingalls Wilder by William   Anderson

This is one of the better Laura Ingalls Wilder Biographies I have read. It includes some fantastic photographs of Laura and her family, a lovely touch. It's written in an easy to read style, mimicking Laura's early books and it contains some fresh information, especially about the later years of Laura's life. I learnt somethings I never knew before - which I think is the hallmark of a good biography.
What I really liked about this biography is that it is written in a way that you could read it with children, or children could read it themselves; and since the Little House books were children's books, I think that was a wise move. The people portrayed evoke the same image and feeling as Laura's characters and the overall feel of the book is a good fit with the Little House series. But best of all, William Anderson doesn't go out of his way to point out inconsistencies between Laura's life and her writing as many people do. A lot of biography authors and researchers think it makes them look intelligent or important to compare ever aspect of Laura's life with her work and point out how this never happened, this person never existed, this is not the correct place etc. and this is why Laura choose to write it this way... At the end of the day they do NOT know. They cannot know whether Laura made a conscious decision to fictionalise something or if that is really how she remembered it - after all for some of the years she wrote about Laura was only two years old. We know Laura's books are technically fiction, which is why we still want to read biographies to see what her real life was really like, but we do not need someone trying to put themselves in Laura's head. So well done William Anderson!
I enjoyed this biography and would recommend it to any Little House fan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Laura Ingalls Wilder.

December 11, 2018 – Started Reading