Lisa's Reviews > Morningstar: Growing Up With Books

Morningstar by Ann Hood

bookshelves: 2018-favorites, books-bookstores

It turns out that Ann Hood grew up around the same time as I did and we read many of the same books at the same age. She even moved to New York the same year I did. So I loved this book in a very personal way. Although we lived across the country from each other and had very different families, she spoke directly to me.

I loved the approach of this book. When I think about growing up, the books that I read are inseparable from my life at that time. Books have always helped me know myself and the world better. And this wonderful book reminded me of that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Morningstar.

December 10, 2018 – Started Reading
December 10, 2018 – Shelved
December 11, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-favorites
December 11, 2018 – Shelved as: books-bookstores
December 11, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Jenna (new)

Jenna How interesting that you share so many similarities! And books... yes, they for sure help us know ourselves and the world better. I don't know how people can get by who never read!

Lisa Jenna wrote: "How interesting that you share so many similarities! And books... yes, they for sure help us know ourselves and the world better. I don't know how people can get by who never read!" Jenna, I do think they are missing something that Netflix just doesn't supply!

message 3: by Mrtruscott (new) - added it

Mrtruscott And another one gets added to my list (how did I get so far behind on Goodreads??). The moment I saw the name, Ann Hood, my forgetful brain recalled not only “Somewhere Off the Coast of Maine,” but — the book cover, the library, and the rooms I read it in. I also remember sobbing, actual dripping tears, on Hood’s essay about the death of her daughter, Grace. So. I guess despite an inability to knit, I am a semi-lapsed Ann Hood fan, too, Lisa. Not to mention a lover of books and all their many stories that run parallel to, and through, my life.

Lisa Mrtruscott wrote: "And another one gets added to my list (how did I get so far behind on Goodreads??). The moment I saw the name, Ann Hood, my forgetful brain recalled not only “Somewhere Off the Coast of Maine,” but..."
How amazing! I think one of the many reasons why I can't let go of my books is that some of covers and pages bring back such visceral memories.

message 5: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara Why do we love books about books? Great review, Lisa. I have added to my list.

message 6: by Judith (new)

Judith E A memoir through books? Perfect!

Lisa Barbara wrote: "Why do we love books about books? Great review, Lisa. I have added to my list."
Thanks Barbara.

Lisa Judith wrote: "A memoir through books? Perfect!" Agreed!

Toni Lisa, the same for me as well! Just love Ann Hood. Check out her new one just published in Dec. 2018; Kitchen Yarns. I have a review under my read books. You might enjoy it. 😍

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Toni wrote: "Lisa, the same for me as well! Just love Ann Hood. Check out her new one just published in Dec. 2018; Kitchen Yarns. I have a review under my read books. You might enjoy it. 😍"
Thank you Toni! Just added it to my TBR list - looks great!