Rafa Brewster's Reviews > Cash

Cash by Garrett Leigh

liked it

3.5 Stars

This is the first time for me that I felt that a Garrett Leigh book failed to put the romance first. Cash and Rae's relationship was far too tumultuous for me to rate them too highly, but even if I had enjoyed their story more, the book's focus on fox hunting (or more to the point, hunt saboteuring) far outstripped the romantic elements in CASH. That being said, I was really fascinated with the insight into sabbing (or saboteuring), unpleasant though some of it was. It was clear to see that the author is passionate about and well-versed in the subject matter and it showed in her writing - from the logistics of the day to the dangers of the hunt, the heartbreak and despair, but most of all, the fierce dedication of the few who've pledged their lives to protecting wildlife from being brutally killed in the name of sport.

Angst isn't usually my thing even though I've always enjoyed Leigh's particular brand of it. In CASH, the angsty nature of their on again/off again connection spilled into (or was deeply tied to) their passion for sabbing. Despite their intense chemistry, it definitely muddied the waters of their budding relationship for me. The fact that they were in different places in their lives, Cash's murky past and their frustrating inability to communicate also made a solid HEA a very tall order indeed.

To that end, I was pleasantly surprised at the course their story took, and the HFN ending left me adequately content. Not my favorite romance from the author, but a great look into hunt saboteuring. Dom and Lucky featured heavily in the book, which also did not hurt!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cash.

Finished Reading