Ashley Houser's Reviews > Bethlehem

Bethlehem by Karen    Kelly

Out July 9th! Pre-order from Amazon here!

Bravo to my fellow Vanderbilt graduate, Karen Kelly, on a beautifully written novel!

This one is a sweeping family drama that takes place over several generations. In this way, it reminded me of Kate Morton's The Clockmaker's Daughter or Sarah Blake's The Guest Book, both of which I adored. So I'm happy to be able to add Bethlehem to these incredible titles.

A woman and her family move into her husband's family home to watch over his mother and grandmother after his father passes away. And family secrets will be revealed as the past is uncovered. I'm hesitant to give any more of a synopsis because you need to read this one for yourself to appreciate Karen Kelly's storytelling.

The one thing that was a tad difficult for me was getting all of the names and relationships straight for the first 20% or so of the book. But, there is a really nice family tree drawn in the front of the book that helped me get everything straight. Once I had a handle on the family relationships and dynamics, it was smooth sailing the rest of the book.

I would highly recommend if you tend to like sweeping family dramas!

-I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to NetGalley, Karen Kelly, and St. Martin's Press for the opportunity to review.-

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bethlehem.

December 10, 2018 – Shelved