Linda Smith's Reviews > Christmas Magic

Christmas Magic by David G. Hartwell

it was ok
bookshelves: christmas, magic, science-fiction, short-stories

I thought that I would Never finish this book. Had it been a novel, I would have given up weeks ago. But with a collection of short stories, there is always hope that the next story would be wonderful. Hope was dashed often. Out of the 28 entries in this collection, I liked 13 of them. But it often seemed that the worst stories were the longest. After plodding through one of those, I would walk away from the book for days. My biggest complaint is that it appeared that many of the authors didn't get the memo telling them the subject matter. While Christmas appeared in quite a few stories, the definition of magic was one that I am not familiar with. Why would aliens and space travel and sentient computers be considered "magic"? As a huge fan of this holiday, I found this broad interpretation of magic to be quite off-putting. I also like happy Christmas stories and quite a few of these were violent and evil. So, this book will not have a place in my permanent collection but will be donated to the library. I apologize to whomever it disappoints next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Christmas Magic.

December 9, 2018 – Started Reading