Steph [They/Them] (Wickedjr Reads)'s Reviews > Mooncakes

Mooncakes by Suzanne  Walker

If you had told me a year ago that I needed a story with an enby werewolf MC so badly in a very fluffy story, i'd have been so confused. I was still in denial land about being enby, and werewolves were never my thing. But now...my enby heart is full of stars!

The MC's are both Chinese-American and queer. Nova is a witch who is hard of hearing and has hearing aids and Tam is an enby werewolf. Nova also has 2 grandma's in a relationship with each other. I squeaked out loud when I saw that! SO. MUCH. CUTENESS.

Good witches protecting and interacting with nature. When I saw the nature creatures my first thought was I WANT TO PAINT THEM. I don't even paint (yet-but I do want to get more into art). THEY ARE SO CUTE.

Tam's ears are pointy. Loved that quiet detail.

Tam also uses they/them pronouns and does correct other characters, who end up being so wonderfully respectful of them.

The emotion from what Tam has went through. And what they've learned through it all. Some evil witches put them in danger. I don't want to spoil it though!

The references to Nova's hearing aids.

Nova's best friend Tat who is the necessary skeptic character but a good friend, hilarious, and ships Nova/Tam so hard.

I loved the fantasy aspect. The magic, cuteness, plot, emotion, romance, message (You aren't alone. True friends stick by your side. And you are more powerful than you realize).

I LOVE ALL OF IT. And I can't wait for October when I can buy a final copy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mooncakes.

December 9, 2018 – Shelved
July 7, 2019 – Shelved as: non-binary
August 7, 2019 – Started Reading
August 7, 2019 –
page 35
13.51% "Yes, I am teary at the fact there is an Enby werewolf character thank you very much. <3"
August 7, 2019 –