Sarah Lumos's Reviews > Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds

Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins

OH MY GOSH!!! DAMN. This book was such an unexpected treasure and I am shocked it does not have more ratings. Guys, you need to read this book. It was one of the best books I have ever read. I would recommend giving the audiobook a try. It is part audiobook and part podcast. In between chapters, Goggins actually gives new insight and commentaries on his extraordinary life.

Goggins was not meant to amount to much. He was supposed to become another statistic. Instead, through sheer work ethic and will power, he became a Navy Seal, motivational speaker, and athlete. This is not your typical self-help book. I love reading self-help books like this because you know they came from a person who has lived through the struggle. He is a living example of everything he talks about in this book.

I love and admire Goggins's passion, grit, and resilience. His ability to push past discomfort to be all that he can be is astounding. I know I am raving about this book like crazy, but it really was life changing. Like, OH MY GOSH!!!

Anybody can benefit from this book. For instance, I was reading this book from the perspective of a student who really wants a career in academia. If I wanted to pursue something like that, it would require great self-discipline and focus. This book helped me see how I can push past discomfort to achieve my goals.

I am serious when I say this book changed my life, and I know I will listen to it again in the future. I want to better absorb all the wisdom Goggins has to offer his readers. A phenomenal, life-changing book that everyone should listen to. I could not stop listening to it and I dreaded it being over. You know a book is good when you want it to last forever. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Can't Hurt Me.

December 7, 2018 – Started Reading
December 9, 2018 – Shelved as: powerful
December 9, 2018 – Shelved as: page-turner
December 9, 2018 – Shelved as: non-fiction
December 9, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

Sarah Lumos Thank you very much! :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Outstanding review, Sarah. I completely agree with your final thought.

Sarah Lumos Thank you so much, Sarahmarie! I hope you have the opportunity to read this book too. :)

Daniel Rios Do u recommend it as an audio? You know what I mean, some books are not meant to be audio and only paper. Is it easy to listen to?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Good question. However, I really don't have an answer since I read its Kindle e book version..

Daniel Rios How about you Sarah Lumos?

Sarah Lumos Sarahmarie wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Do u recommend it as an audio? You know what I mean, some books are not meant to be audio and only paper. Is it easy to listen to?"

Good question. However, I really don't have an an..."

I would recommend the audio version if you can get it. I downloaded mine on Audible and it was wonderful. In between the chapters, the author makes insightful commentaries about his life. It made the whole reading/listening experience that much more enriching. :)

Daniel Rios Yeah I saw it on audible!! Great I will do that!! Thanks!!

Sandra Great review Sarah Lumos. Maybe its generational or cultural or personal preference, but the seemingly excessive use of foul language overshadowed the message to me. I loved the additional podcast updates concept though. 5 stars forward 2 stars back rating for me.

message 10: by Hugo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hugo Luna I just finished the audiobook, definitely better to listen to it than read it because of the Podcast aspect to it. Goggins is a fucking beast.

Sarah Lumos Sandra wrote: "Great review Sarah Lumos. Maybe its generational or cultural or personal preference, but the seemingly excessive use of foul language overshadowed the message to me. I loved the additional podcast ..."

Thank you for your kind comment, Sandra. And most definitely. I can understand how the swearing could be off-putting to some people; however, I am grateful the overall message of perseverance and resilience resonated with you. :)

Sarah Lumos Hugo wrote: "I just finished the audiobook, definitely better to listen to it than read it because of the Podcast aspect to it. Goggins is a fucking beast."

The podcast made this book for me too. I wish more audiobook memoirs were done in this fashion. It provides moments for critical thinking and self-reflection. And hell yes! Goggins is a beast.

☯~☽~•Patricia Mainard•~☾~☯ Great review!

message 14: by Vijay (new) - added it

Vijay Vjy But it ain't free
😅😅😅😅😅

Sarah Lumos ☯~☽~•Patricia wrote: "Great review!"

Thank you, Patricia!

Sarah Lumos Vijay wrote: "But it ain't free
😅😅😅😅😅"

If you sign up for audible, they will actually give you 1 free credit to try the website. So you can listen to the book on audible. :)

message 17: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim How has your life improved since reading this book?