C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Caged Queen

The Caged Queen by Kristen Ciccarelli

bookshelves: 5-star, epic-fantasy, read-2019, young-adult

Somehow I just tripped and fell in love with this book and I can't get up??? No no pls do not save me. I'm besotted. I'm absolutely wickedly entranced. Like The Last Namsara was excellent and I adored Asha and Torwin and all the dragons. But this one just sort of caught me even harder and I !!! love it so much !!! I usually complain YA fantasy isn't living up to what I need, but this is [clenches fist] so frikkin good.

seriously it basically had a checklist of things I love reading
➸ hate to love romance
➸ super intense and devastatingly sad sister storyline
➸ the king had disabilities (I'm calling dyslexia and maybe adhd too for Dax?)
➸ Roa was bitter and icy and so so soft inside I love her pls go I'm just crying
➸ myths and legends woven in
➸ a gorgeously full and complex world
➸ aLL THE EPIC POWERFUL PEOPLE WERE WOMEN
➸ scheming and strategy
you haven't been paying attention
➸ Slytherin masquerading as a Hufflepuff and then revealing schemes with such relish
➸ sword fights and stabbing!!
➸ magic knives
➸ FEELINGS (mine though)

This is a sequel, but also a companion to the Last Namsara. It's narrated by Roa this time, the Scrublander queen who agreed to help Dax over throw his evil tyrant father, but in return: she'd be queen. She's just such a complex and amazing character. She's not nice. She has so much baggage with Dax (they spent childhoods together and she blames him for her sister's death) and she's so oblivious to how he feels about her (!! i'm sorry but i love that trope). She hates him and is using him and ends up plotting against him, but like for really good reasons?? She is so full of heart and passion but she doesn't look deeply enough. And I love how this book was full of double layers.

are you paying attention?

Dax, mY SON. He is just so clever and I won't spoil it but UGH DAX. I LOVE HIM. Especially am here for learning disabilities in fantasy!!

I was basically addicted to every page. Every single angle interested me, whether Roa was plotting or in a meeting or having her heart ripped out of her chest with grief for her sister...there's so so so much feeling in this book. It's just so full of soul and I clung to every page that broke me and every page that made me fiercely proud. Also pls do not sleep on the fact that this book exists in a patriarchy but the women are still getting into positions of power and being unforgettably epic. I'm so ferociously buoyed by this.

i could rant forever??? or you could just go read this amazing series. It is suddenly my everything and I'm laying pathetically on the carpet until November and we get the finale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Caged Queen.

December 9, 2018 – Shelved
December 9, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
January 29, 2019 – Started Reading
January 29, 2019 – Started Reading (Hardcover Edition)
January 29, 2019 –
page 90
22.5% "yes I'm finally reading this, even though I read the first book 2 months ago and swore I'd read the sequel straight away lmao here we see a liAR in the wild." (Hardcover Edition)
January 30, 2019 –
page 160
42.22% "I do so love a romance where you don't know if the couple will stab each other...or kiss!! or BOTH"
January 31, 2019 – Shelved as: 5-star
January 31, 2019 – Shelved as: epic-fantasy
January 31, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
January 31, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
January 31, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Celia McMahon I loved this book

C.G. Drews it was just perfect!

Isabelle (the Book Dutchesses) Aaaah I need to pick this up ASAP! You got me so excited

Amity So glad you liked this book!!! It’s one of my favourites😍

C.G. Drews yesss! I'm so glad it has so many fans!!