Patrick Gallagher's Reviews > Brain Hacks: Life-Changing Strategies to Improve Executive Functioning

Brain Hacks by Lara Honos-Webb  PhD

U 50x66

I found Brain Hacks to be a powerful, straightforward read to better understand my “executive functioning. The book provides a foundational understanding around the variables impacting your cognitive skills and provides tons of insight and tools from psychology and neuroscience. As a performance coach, & organizational culture consultant, this provided an incredible field manual/toolbox that was fun, easy to read, and immediately actionable.

My personal goals were to increase effectiveness in building a business, consulting on an organizational culture transformation project, and understand why I’m avoiding action around producing my own personal content. Through taking the Executive Functioning Survey (assessing Focus & Attention, Planning & Organizing, Cognitive Flexibility, Emotional Regulation, and Impulse Control) I found that I had significant gaps in my Planning & Organizing skills which was significantly inhibiting me performance! I discovered the planning & organizing structure (or “exoskeleton” as Lara describes) I have in place isn’t working. This has been extremely helpful in providing tools to intentional develop skills to prioritize and organize, and rebuild the exoskeleton to be more effective!
If you find yourself “stuck” in any area of your life, turn to the cognitive flexibility section, pick an exercise and do it! I walked through a few actions with a close friend stuck in her career and applied some of the activities. It almost immediately opened up new ideas, new possibilities , helped her get unstuck and provide next steps!
The visual layout and content structure made the process of exploring and applying the tools and tactics really easy. The takeaways summary is super helpful as a reference after reading while practicing and honing skills. Overall, Dr. Lara Honos-Webb does a skillful job using questions directed towards the reader to help identify personal opportunities to improve, while simultaneously creating the appropriate framing of why the concepts in the book are important, and how to immediately integrate them into your life to be effective. I found this book to be an easy, practical tool to upgrade my executive functioning.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book provided by the publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brain Hacks.

November 20, 2018 – Started Reading