Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell's Reviews > Beyond the Veil

Beyond the Veil by Pippa DaCosta

2190064

liked it
bookshelves: pnr-uf, romance
Recommended to Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ by: ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Several of my friends recommended this book to me and it's free in the Kindle store, so downloading this book and checking it out seemed like a pretty low risk to take, especially with such ringing endorsements in its favor. BEYOND THE VEIL is about a woman named "Muse," who works with metals. She's also half human and half demon, with command over fire and the ability to "read" blades if her blood is spilled and has a long history of abuse where her powers were exploited like a cheap parlor trick.

I thought the world-building in this book was really great. DaCosta creates this fairly complex hierarchy of power among demon kind, with princes being at the top and mongrels like Muse being at the bottom. The descriptions of how she channeled her powers were also interesting, and I liked how her confidence grew as the book went on and she learned that all the bad things she'd been told about herself were basically big fat lies.

Once Muse learns the truth about herself, she realizes that there's good reasons for other demons to want to kill her - including the demon who took her from her cruel and abusive master, and has been her lover for several years. There's a bit of a love triangle between Akil and Stefan, but I thought it was done well, and served to underscore Muse's confusion as she tries to figure out which of them is telling the truth.

If you're a fan of Ilona Andrew's books, I feel like you'll probably like DaCosta. Their writing styles seem similar, and they both seem fond of complex and interesting worlds featuring kick-butt protagonists. I'd give this a higher rating, but I couldn't quite get into it the way I wanted to. There weren't any real flaws, or anything, but it did feel like sometimes the pacing would be off, and I actually set this book aside for a little while until I could get back into it again. I do like this author a lot so far, though - at least based on what I've seen - and I'd check out her other works.

3 to 3.5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond the Veil.

December 8, 2018 – Started Reading
December 8, 2018 – Shelved
December 8, 2018 – Shelved as: pnr-uf
December 8, 2018 – Shelved as: romance
page 3
1.23% "This character is called "Muse"? That makes me think of Salma Hayek's character in Dogma. :)

"
page 16
6.56% "I'm getting Ilona Andrews vibes from this book!"
page 21
8.61% "Stepping on my cat's tail by accident always makes me feel like the literal worst human being in the entire world."
page 42
17.21% "Aperol spritz in one hand, kinky paranormal romance in the other.

It's a good kind of Saturday night."
December 30, 2018 –
page 101
41.39% "A little slow to start but it's finally starting to pick up"
December 30, 2018 –
page 141
57.79% "I like how the heroine is curious about Stefan but keeps acknowledging how she doesn't know him well enough yet to pry into his personal life. It's a simple thing but one that far too many authors don't take into consideration lol"
January 1, 2019 –
page 189
77.46% "Things I've learned from reading romance novels, and basically any other novel too: If you see a business with the word "Institute" in its name, run. That is a bad place, filled with bad people."
January 1, 2019 –
page 218
89.34% "Villain: *stands in front of a bay window with ambient lighting*

Villain: You have betrayed me for the last time.

Me: This is hot."
January 1, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin* Wait, her demon lover wants to kill her? *interest intensifies*

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell Also one of the love interests is blonde 🔥

A.M. The prequel Wings of Hope fills in a few blanks and I thought it was really dark *rubs hands*

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell Oooh, good to know! >:D