Shannon (Giraffe Days)'s Reviews > Damien

Jul 03, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: 2008, vampires
Read in October, 2008

(It's been a few weeks and a lot of stuff happening since I read this so forgive me if I can't remember the plot all that well) Damien, Prince of the Vampires, commits the biggest taboo among his kind in order to save the life of Syreena, sister to the Lycanthrope queen, after she is kidnapped and tortured by the crazy Demon Ruth. Drinking from her creates a bond between them that feeds off their sexual attraction, and Damien gets Syreena's ability to change into a bird - in his case, a raven. His close friend, Jasmine, discovers that such unions between species were once quite common but open to corruption, as the exchange of blood exchanged powers as well - hence the law against it.

The first half of this book was quite good, and the Nightwalker world is becoming more and more fleshed out. I'm getting really tired of Ruth though, and the romance took a back seat to the subplots in this book. I didn't like Damien very much, and I didn't really feel the chemistry between him and Syreena - not like between her sister and Elijah. It was a bit of a disappointing read because the characters didn't carry it for me. But it's an important part of the overall story and things are certainly getting interesting. I get the feeling, though, that Frank would be better writing non-romantic urban fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Damien.

message 1: by Jillian (new)

Jillian What do you recommend as a really excellent vampire book? I've read the Twilight books, and liked them, but had some reservations about them too(especially the 4th book...don't even get me started on it! grrr.). I also think I'll stick with the Sookie Stackhouse books for awhile...and I've read The Historian. But other than that, I know there's a lot out there and I'm sure some are better than others. Any recommendations?

Shannon (Giraffe Days) I'm really enjoying the Sookie books too - I've read the first four; they've suddenly disappeared from the bookshop shelves: waiting on new editions perhaps? When it comes to paranormal romance, probably my favourite author is Kresley Cole, who has a fantastic fantasy-in-our-world thing going on, with vampires, lycanthropes, demons, witches and a whole horde of supernatural beings. I love her characters, there's great humour, and the stories are unique.

I don't want to recommend Christine Feehan's Carpathian books - I keep reading them but they're badly written and incredibly repetitive. But very intense. That's another option.

Keri Arthur's Riley Jensen series is really good - especially the first three, which forms a neat little trilogy within the series. Has one very sexy vampire, Quinn.

I can't think of my other favourits off the top of my head, I'd need to check out my shelves at home first. Have you read the Vampire Diaries by LJ Smith? They've been re-released. They're similar to the Twilight books but different - were written quite a while ago but they don't read dated at all. And they have great cliffhanger endings!

message 3: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Thanks! Lots of fabulous recommendations. I haven't read any of the above mentioned...so I'll definitely be looking into them! :)