Kristen (The Brunette Bookworm)'s Reviews > City of Ghosts

City of Ghosts by Victoria Schwab

liked it
bookshelves: read-2019

City of Ghosts is Victoria Schwab’s first foray into middle grade. But while I enjoyed it, it didn’t blow me away. It’s a solidly okay read.

“Stories have power,” she says. “So long as you believe them.”

City of Ghosts tells the story of Cassidy Blake, a girl who can see ghosts after a near death experience. Her parents are paranormal investigators, and the story takes place in Edinburgh during filming of the first episode of their new television series. There, Cassidy meets a girl with the same “gift” who helps her learn more about herself and what she can do. Cassidy learns that she is an “In-betweener” – someone whose job it is to help ghosts cross the veil. But, she soon catches the interest of a malevolent ghost, and Cassidy must figure out how to use her gift and save herself.

“People think that ghosts only come out at night, or on Halloween, when the world is dark and the walls are thin. But the truth is, ghosts are everywhere. In the bread aisle at your grocery store, in the middle of you grandmother’s garden, in the front seat on your bus. Just because you can’t see them doesn’t mean they aren’t there.”

I liked the plot and the characters in this book. The friendship between Jacob and Cassidy was very sweet. And seeing Cassidy make a new friend in Edinburgh was nice (especially with the little bit of ‘not like other girls’ vibe I got at the beginning of the story). But it seemed to lack some of the whimsy and humor that I enjoy in my middle grade. It honestly kinda felt like a YA book with a middle grade aged protagonist. And, I know this seems kinda nitpicky, but the constant Harry Potter references grated on me after awhile. It seems more like they were put in for the adult reader rather than the middle grade one. But, I do plan to eventually pick up the second book and see where the stories goes next.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Ghosts.

December 8, 2018 – Shelved