Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)'s Reviews > The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton

Initial Impressions 9/13/19: This was a really enjoyable book for me BUT there's also a huge part of it that I didn't like.

I LOVED the mystery and pretty much everything about it. I really enjoyed following along with each of the characters, the curiosity of Aiden being able to embody each of these guests that were somehow involved, and seeing those characters interact with themselves. It was a little mind-blowing seeing the story develop throughout the novel and how many times each character brought everything full circle. I was super impressed with that manner of story telling because it took a lot of care and precision, and I also really enjoyed the mystery in itself. I felt like the concept of the book sort of distracted from the reader solving the mystery so there were plenty of twists in story for me as far as revealing who the actual killer of Evelyn Hardcastle was and how the characters figured it out.

So basically I loved everything that was the story in itself.

What I didn't love, and actually actively disliked, was the reason why Aiden was able to embody all of these different guests and what it all meant. I won't spoil anything here but I knew it was going to take me out of time period and do some genre crossing, so it took some of that atmosphere and magic away for me. I actually thought it cheapened the story instead of this just being a really awesome period mystery, which if you took away a couple elements and added others, it really could have been just that. There was just enough of it to introduce something that didn't fit the feel of the book for me and not enough of it for me to feel anything about it except that I kind of hated it. Basically, I'm going to pretend it didn't happen and just consider this a mystery novel because I really, really enjoyed that part of it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle.

December 7, 2018 – Shelved
September 12, 2019 – Shelved as: audiobook
September 12, 2019 – Shelved as: historical-aspect
September 13, 2019 – Finished Reading
September 22, 2019 – Shelved as: to-review

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Kristy (new) - added it

Kristy It's so interesting to see a different opinion because the part that you didn't like is actually one of the main reasons that I loved this book! I can see how it wouldn't work for everyone, but it totally worked for me. 😁