Beth's Reviews > Running the Rift

Running the Rift by Naomi Benaron

Jan 14, 2012

Read in January, 2012

Running the Rift- is a story of te rift of Tutsi and Hutu in Rwanda; Jean Patrick Nkuba is the runner both in the sense of training for the Olympics in High School and University and in the sense of running back & forth in his identity as a Tutsi, who sometimes takes on a Hutu identity in order not to get killed. I had no idea that the tall skinny people were classed as Tutsi and the stocky people were considered Hutu. Nor how horrible it was for those of one group who married someone from another group.

This story builds. It gives us the view of houses without electricity that are small and those that are large. It builds in us a sense of the scenery, and people: a family, a coach, a love, tourists, and killers.

It gives a sense of hope, eternal wishing and working towards a goal of winning the Olympics and the awful trama to be suffered in one's love of life.

I have not told the story, others have, for there are many reviews below. If you take this and the film of Hotel Rwanda, you have a fleshed out picture of what happened in the1990's in Rwanda. It surely is worth the prize it got.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running the Rift.

message 1: by Reya (new) - added it

Reya Kempley I enjoy your reviews too! This book sounds not only inspiring but valuable as well. And it's a part of the world and history that I'm not very familiar with, but should be. Thanks!