Julie Suzanne's Reviews > Me and Marvin Gardens

Me and Marvin Gardens by A.S. King

bookshelves: battle-of-the-books, ms-library, science

What a precious story. Lovable characters, wonderful themes, enjoyable writing style (love the narrator's "voice").

I love how bullying is dealt with. I love the flawed parent-child relationship that was so realistic but not in any way dysfunctional (I'd call it "normal"). Again, I love the messages woven throughout each scene. I love that a teacher was a positive influence without being like Mr. Terrupt or countless other stereotypical, perfect, day-saving literary teachers. She seemed totally real to me. I love how A.S. King inspires curiosity, a love of one's heritage, and is contributing to a society that can be better than this generation's parents' (readers of this book will hopefully NOT be saying #metoo and WILL recycle that plastic bottle). I'm thankful that she shows how school can provide guidance that allows children to reach past the limitations created by their parents' beliefs and ignorance.

I feel like I want to write and write and write and discuss, discuss, discuss, but I don't want to be the (uncited, I'm sure) source of some student's book report, so I'm refraining. I already see teachers (gasp) and students searching here for discussion questions and themes and I don't want to provide anyone an "out" from reading it. Fortunately, my Battle of the Books group meets TODAY and we can discuss at length! I have a 7th grade girl and and 8th grade boy who both claimed that they "loved it!"

I recommend this to all students grades 5-7. (Coming of age, sweetest male 11-year-old protagonist you'll ever meet).

If this wins an award, I wouldn't be surprised.

P.S. to teachers: Students will truly learn what "irony" is as a result of reading this.

"I took a side. It was the right side. But everyone on every side thinks they're on the right side, once they take a side. No matter if you're wrong, it's hard not to be loyal to the side you picked. I'd rather be loyal to myself...."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me and Marvin Gardens.

December 6, 2018 – Started Reading
December 6, 2018 – Shelved
December 6, 2018 – Shelved as: battle-of-the-books
December 6, 2018 – Shelved as: ms-library
December 7, 2018 – Shelved as: science
December 7, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Julie Suzanne I'm LOVING this so far!