Sarah's Reviews > This Is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor

This Is Going to Hurt by Adam  Kay

liked it

It's almost impossible to listen to a book which has been so widely praised and done so well without raised expectations and humour is a very personal thing. This is probably largely why, over two hours in, I felt baffled not to be enjoying the book more. The anecdotes seemed tonally flat and same-y, and I felt uncomfortable, not because I'm squeamish, but because I had some sense this Kay seemed to be laughing at, rather than with, his patients. Every reader and listener brings their own subjective interpretation to every book, and others haven't found this, so I may be alone here, or it maybe because the book started life as a stand-up show. Nonetheless I found myself thinking: I'm glad I've not been Adam Kay's patient. However, I continued listening - it's not a long book - and it was worth doing so, because the last chunk is raw in its honesty and passionately written. As well as explaining why he left the profession, Kay delivers an extremely important message about valuing the NHS and those who work for it with the conviction only someone who has been on the front line can deliver. The glib and occasionally arrogant writing for laughs disappears to be replaced something more sincere and heartfelt. Finally, the interview with Mark Watson is an enjoyable addition to the audio; I have worked with the editor they talk of, and their affectionate comments about her made me smile in recognition.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is Going to Hurt.

December 3, 2018 – Started Reading